1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2016 10:04 AM by Lee Forst

Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696

Aliaksandra Chernyavskaya

Hi guys,

recently I've started receiving the following error while publishing workbook or just while viewing dashboard:

"An unexpected error occurred. If you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server

Administrator.Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696: The system cannot find the path specified. -

DataFile::DataFile(CreateFileWrapper path="C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\temp\tmpX\TableauTemp\'Export Worksheet\Worksheet.1.data", writable=false) Could not create file handle. yyyy-mm-DD H:M:S, (V7MMqQqEAAIAAApga5EAAAD@,0,0)Would you like to reset the view?"

Do you have any idea of the reason why it may happened and how to fix it? I will appreciate any help.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
          Paul Moran

Hi Aliaksandra,

As a workaround, try one of the following:

• Republish the affected workbooks

• Configure the Tableau Server Run As User as a local Windows administrator and make sure the correct read and execute permissions are granted for that user (the following links may help)

Run As User

Verify Folder Permissions

If the issue persists please let me know the version of Tableau Server and Tableau Desktop being used.

Paul

• 2. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
            Aliaksandra Chernyavskaya

Paul, thank you for a reply.

Tableau Server Version: 9.3.0

Tableau Desktop Version: 9.3.5

Republishing didn't help me, but I think that found out the reason of such behavior - the workbook uses live connection to the excel file. I didn't make an extract for workbook and then published it on the server. After publishing Tablaeu Data Engine tried to find the file but without success.

Aliaksandra

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
              Cord Thomas

Hi - we have the same problem with Excel live connection.  Working on Desktop Pro we create views and dashboards but when published to the server (just upgraded to 10.10.1) we get this same error when trying to open any of the Views.   I am not clear what you did to solve this?  Created an extract of the Excel?  This is not an ideal solution for us as we'd obviously prefer to use a live view...

Tableau - do you have a response to this repeatable issue?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                Toby Erkson

The issue is that the data source (the Excel file) is in a temporary folder on a personal computer.  The data source needs to be saved to a network folder that the Tableau Server has access to AND the file path used in the workbook needs to be in UNC form.  Please read this: Include external files, located at the bottom of the page.

This is a VERY common issue and I wish Tableau would find a way to document this better/more clearly.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                  Cord Thomas

Thank you Tony - i did not scroll all the way down to the bottom the last time I reviewed the process. 

That said i am really surprised - i had thought that a simple workbook with a single 10 MB Excel file would copy up both the Excel file and the Tableau workbook to the server.   At least it seems it does as it takes a long time and implies it is doing so...

• 6. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                    Toby Erkson

Cord Thomas wrote:

That said i am really surprised - i had thought that a simple workbook with a single 10 MB Excel file would copy up both the Excel file and the Tableau workbook to the server.   At least it seems it does as it takes a long time and implies it is doing so...

Okay, wait a second.

When using Excel as a data source for live connections or scheduled extracts then deselect the "Include external files" checkbox:

If you leave it checked then the file will be bundled -- or packaged -- with the workbook and the data will then become static.  In the above imaged, if you leave the box checked then the workbook will be published with the Excel file's data, thus becoming a static report.  When you do this (if it's what you want) then the file path to the Excel workbook doesn't matter since it won't be used again i.e. you can use C:\folder\fileName.xls.

10MB isn't that big...slow upload time could be due to network congestion and/or if it is location else where in the network (that is, not locally on your computer).

• 7. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                      Kerri MacDonald

I'm having this issue even when checking off Include external files. I randomly started having an issue with a report that has Excel as a live connection where I did not have an issue before. I republished with the "Include external files" checked off as I have before and it still does not fix the issue.

• 8. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                        Toby Erkson

Make sure the Tableau Server has permission to access the Excel file.  This means you may need to contact the administrator of the network folder and have them allow the Tableau Server's "Run As User" account to have Read & Modify permissions in that folder.

• 9. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                          Cord Thomas

Indeed - that is what prompted my last response to (the helpful) Toby - that i believe i and my other analysts had been checking that box but that the error was still happening - and i believe as you suggest Kerri, this is new behavior on views/workbooks that had previously been working.

Kerri  - do you happen to know whether your version of Tableau Desktop or Server were upgraded since the time that using Excel was not causing an error?  I believe in our case we upgrade from some relatively recent 9.N release to 10.0.0 at which point i believe we started to see sporadic failures.

We have tried deleting the workbooks, republishing them, deleting various temp files, restarting Tableau server all to no avail.

• 10. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                            Toby Erkson

If network folder permissions are properly set and this is still an issue I would recommend contacting Tableau Support.  Please let us know the solution

• 11. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                              Cord Thomas

Another good idea - i just double checked and (despite not being best practice) the Run as account is a local admin on the server.

Now that i look at my original error message more closely i see 2 strange things:

C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\temp\tmpX\TableauTemp\'Export Worksheet\Worksheet.1.data"

1.  1 - We do not have a .\temp\tmpX\TableauTemp path - ours goes straight to .\temp\TableauTemp skipping the tmpX.

2 - the single quote in the path - .\TableauTemp\’Export Worksheet

That looks like a clear bug to me…

• 12. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                                Kerri MacDonald

Tableau was not upgraded in this time. The folder in question should have the correct permissions set, but I am having trouble getting on the server so I've contacted my colleague to check the permissions to make sure.

• 13. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                                  Kerri MacDonald

I just want to add that this is a report that is scheduled daily during the week and we did not have a problem with Friday's report, but now we do Monday. We do have a restart of the servers on the weekend, but nothing has changed as far as process.

• 14. Re: Tableau Data Engine Error: 40696
                                    Cord Thomas

Would seem permissions are quite permissive.

I do have a ticket in to Tableau - a few days old now - waiting to hear back.

Thanks again.

1 2 Previous Next