9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 11:28 AM by Tom W

Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table

siyang.teo

I'm wondering if it is possible to insert a hyperlink in tooltip, and upon clicking on a cell aggregated value in a crosstab, opens up a table showing the individual rows of data but showing specific fields?

In a way it is similar to "View Data" at the command button and clicking "Underlying" tab (attached screenshots).

The hyperlink enables the end user to use a more intuitive dashboard.

Attached sample twbx.

Any help is most appreciated!

Untitled.jpg

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
          Tom W

The only way I can think of is to use a Dashboard with Action Filters.

See attached for an example where I'm filtering based on the species selected. You can customize the action filter to pass through the date, time etc.

See Filter Actions

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
            siyang.teo

Hi Tom,

Thank you.

That seems to bring me closer to an answer.

However, the table you proposed only directly translate the graph in tabular form.

It does not break down selected aggregated cell (speed is aggregated) into their individual row data before aggregation (underlying data).

Any additional insights on this? Thank you.

• 3. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
              Tom W

Create a field with the formula INDEX()

Drag this into your rows shelf of the table and set the Table calculation partitioning to Table (Down). This will force your rows to break out to the granular level of detail.

• 4. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                siyang.teo

Hi Tom,

I tried the suggestion but there does not seem to be any difference with the previous example. Please kindly find the attached twbx.

Did I miss out anything? Thank you

• 5. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                  Tom W

Please note that the Action Filter is setup to filter on the 'Species' field only. I set this up as an example as I'm not sure what you want to filter on but I'm not sure that it's correct. It sounds like you need to change what's being filtered on so the detail table shows you all of the data you need.

Secondly you note "It does not break down selected aggregated cell (speed is aggregated) into their individual row data before aggregation (underlying data).". Again, I only created an example. Add any fields to 'Sheet 2' which you need to show the necessary breakout.

• 6. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                    siyang.teo

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the patience.

The aim is to provide the granularity of some fields in the cell that was clicked. For this case, I have amended the action filter to Species, Date Time (Day), Time STR so that Sheet 2 only displays the details from the cell that is being selected.

I did the index() calculated field, dropped it as a new field to the row and ensured that it is computed as table (down). However, it does not seem to force the sheet to display the individual instead of aggregated rows.

I screen shot it below, comparing it with the tooltip underlying data (which shows 5 original rows for that cell selected compared to just 1 displayed in sheet 2). The expected outcome should show the rows as in the tooltip underlying data.

wew.png

• 7. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                      Tom W

Take a look at sheet 2. If you don't want Speed to aggregate, why do you have it set to SUM(Speed) ? You need to change it to display a Dimension, Discrete (not continuous). Right click it, select Dimension then change it to Discrete.

The sheet is still going to group together rows with common values based on the dimensions in the report. I.e. if you only have speed in the view, it will show one row for 9 and one row for 22.

To force it to show the unique row, you need to include Speed Band and/or whatever dimensions will force this to be a unique row. In the case where you have two rows which match exactly, there's no way to ungroup these, not even with the INDEX() function.

You would need to include some type of a unique identifier (like a rownumber) in your source data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                        siyang.teo

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the very clear instructions!

Managed to obtain the expected outcome.

And also voted the idea for Tableau to generate a unique ID https://community.tableau.com/ideas/3345

• 9. Re: Tooltip: hyperlink that opens a table
                          Tom W

Create a calculated field with the formula Index()

Add it into the table, set the table calculation partitioning to 'Table

(Down)'