6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2016 7:33 PM by Chris Kimberley

How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report

Chris Kimberley

Hi,

I've been trying to create a simplistic report that displays tickets from a ticketing system.  I want to give a worksheet to teams and let them view tickets belonging to themselves, their peers and filter the data as needed.  Each ticket will have various values such as type, priority, assignee, date, etc.

However, I have not been able to create a report such as this.  Can somebody please give me precise instructions on how to create something like this?  To make sure that I'm being clear, I want a spreadsheet type set of results that simply allows a team to view/filter their result set of tickets.

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
          Tom W

Drag and drop your dimensions and measures into your report. The default layout / style for Tableau is a table of data, not a chart. Have you tried this? If so, what is missing from this approach compared to what you want?

If you would like precise instructions, perhaps you can start by providing some sample data in a Tableau Packaged Workbook along with some more information about the layout you're trying to achieve?

• 2. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
            Chris Kimberley

I have tried dragging the dimensions into the report, as the default layout.  However, it does not produce desired results.

What I have done is linked together multiple tables, that comprise work orders (or tickets) from a ticketing system database.  I want to be able to simply display tickets, just as a list.  However, once I start dragging items into the report Tableau beings to group the data, rather than simply display it as it appears in the database.

Capture.JPG

For example, here I have dragged the unique issue numbers into the report.  An issue number represents a unique ticket, and each of these tickets has an issue status.  So I'd like to see 1 row of this report show me the number and then the specific Issuestatus of that number.  However, as you can see it groups all Issuestatus's per Issuenum.

I hope someone can help me out here.  I just want to simply display ticket details on a per ticket basis.

Example Output of how I want this to look:

Issuenum       Issuestatus

1                     6

2                     1

3                     10000

etc.

Thanks,

Chris

• 3. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
              Tom W

Based on the information you've shown in the screenshot, there are multiple statuses per ticket. If you only want to show one status, how would you determine that?

• 4. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
                Chris Kimberley

One ticket only has one status.  However, Tableau is wanting to show every single possible status for each ticket.  What I need from Tableau is to show the actual status for each individual ticket, and there is only one for each.

• 5. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
                  Tom W

Your screenshot says otherwise - my interpretation of your screenshot is each issue number has multiple statuses. It's likely you've setup a join incorrectly or you're misunderstanding what your dimensions are. I can't help you further without a Tableau Packaged Workbook.

• 6. Re: How to Create Simple Matrix (spreadsheet) Type Report
                    Chris Kimberley

Looking at my screenshot, Issue Numbers are not unique in Jira.  This explains why I am seeing multiple status's.

Thanks.