10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 10:16 AM by Simon Runc

Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all

adam.cotton

Hi All,

I have a Filled Map of Ohio counties. When you select one county on the map, it updates data in several graphs displayed on the same dashboard.
      Q: Is it possible to require that one and only one county be selected, and prevent the situation where you click on an area outside the state (if you click on territory in a neighboring state, for example) and it selects all counties. When all counties are selected the charts are garbled.

Thanks,

-AC

• 1. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
          Vincent Baumel

An attached workbook would help a lot here, since the solution probably has to do with dashboard actions. If you could post a workbook that would be super helpful!

• 2. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
            adam.cotton

I'm using Tableau Public, so I believe I cannot save the workbook locally. I am attaching a screenshot of the dash. It's very straightforward; Filled map of counties, "use as a filter" to affect the tables with the action to click on a county. The screenshot shows what it does when I click on a county. The second image shows what happens when you click outside the state and it selects all counties. I want to make this impossible.

Screenshot (19).pngScreenshot (20).png

• 3. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
              Kent Sloan

Hi Adam,

Customize the action filter to only run on single select only by going under dashboard then actions and editing the action to match the picture below. To prevent all of the other views from being populated you will need to set the filter to exclude. This will leave all the views that depend on this selection blank until activated. I would recommend using a container to collapse the view until it is populated. Attached is a workbook with a basic example activated by selecting a state.

Thanks,

Kent Sloan

InterWorks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                adam.cotton

Thanks so much -- this is great to learn.

But it still leaves it possible to select all counties the same as before, and leaves all the charts blank. I understand you're suggesting I hide all charts until one county is selected? This is nice to know but I'm wondering is it possible to require that one and only one is selected, so that this select all effect cannot happen? Would be cleaner, nicer, and logical. Nothing would ever have to blow up. Am I missing something?

I was going to use a pull-down select only one county filter, but trying to make it so you can use that OR click on the county was getting messy and discombobulated.

I might have to put this one in the suggestion box. Caveat; I almost exclusively ask questions that don't have an answer.

• 5. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                  adam.cotton

I'm going to file this one as "It can't be done" and for the black hole of the suggestion box to Tableau. Would be nice to see implemented - not holding my breath. Thanks for the replies.

• 6. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                    Simon Runc

hi Adam,

As a variation on Sloan's response, if you don't want the expanding/collapsing of the other Viz'es you can use the 'Leave the filter' option instead (I've also, and this might be overkill, set the sent dimension to be State)

As you can see from the below. Once the filter is removed, the last selection remains...and although (using +CTRL) I can select multiple states, it has no affect (and with a bit of extra labeling) it's quite clear that the user is only looking at the first state they selected...

Action Filters.gif

Hope that helps.

• 7. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                      adam.cotton

Simon, thanks much for the example - that's also very useful to know. I learned a lot about Actions.

If it's not too late to append to my question.. Is it possible to make one county (or state) the default -- not just the last one I selected when I saved the viz? Or is that just the way you do it. I haven't been able to figure that out. I have three dashboards with the same map but different charts; it would be nice if they all default to start at the same county... and then when you advance to the next Story pane, the following dashboard starts at the default county.

• 8. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                        Simon Runc

hi Adam,

So the only way that I know, that might work for you is this...

So I've set up an actual filter on State (and selected Florida). This filter is applied to all sheets (apart from the Map). This is our default state. Then once we (or the user) starts using the dashboard (using the action filter) Tableau is clever enough to know that you now what this filter to be controlled by the action.

Attached is an example

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                          adam.cotton

Yeah that's a brilliant workaround. I'm gonna use that.

I was avoiding using both filters (pull down menu) and actions (click on map), because it was slowing down the loading of the dashboard to the point that it would hang -- in Tableau Public, anyway. But maybe with just the filter to one county to start it would be okay. Will test it.

• 10. Re: Filled maps, counties: Allow select one, not allow select all
                            Simon Runc

Glad it did the trick!

...filters (pull down menu) and actions (click on map), because it was slowing down the loading of the dashboard

Yes for drop-down (quick) filters Tableau has to generate a further query to get the list of values (this is even worse if it's a 'relevant values' only , as it needs to regenerate the list every-time a dependent filter is used too). I tend to keep to as few drop-down filters as possible. Clients often ask for these, but we are usually able to demonstrate the 'analytics-flow' advantages of action filters...from a user perspective (as well as performance)