2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2016 5:16 AM by mark schukas

actions on Dashboard work, but quick filters do not...

mark schukas

I have four worksheets on a Dashboard and I set up an Action to have all the sheets synchronized...(works well).

I added three quick filters (drop downs to select region, country and site).  when I select one of these, the filters on the four worksheets do not change (e.g., changing from North America to Europe)...?

I seemingly don't have the quick filters tied to an action?

???

thank you.

• 1. Re: actions on Dashboard work, but quick filters do not...
          Phillip Overpeck

Without seeing how you set your filters this is only a guess, but it sounds like you have created your quick filters by dragging your dimensions onto the filters shelf.

When you create an action filter, it is also added to the filters shelf. So lets look at [State] as an example. If you have a map in tableau based on US States, and you have created a quick filter and an action based on the [State] field, there will actually be 2 different filters in play. These filters won't be synchronized.

To get a quick filter that reacts to your actions you can actually use the filter created by the action as a quick filter. To do this, on your dashboard use the carrot drop down on a visualization your action is applied to. Hover over the filters option, and look at the list available. You should see Action(State) as an option. Use that as your quick filter in stead of the actual [State] dimension. See image below for visual example:

• 2. Re: actions on Dashboard work, but quick filters do not...
            mark schukas

thank you.

got it...

used a combination of Dashboards Actions AND (put focus on Filter and right click) Apply to Worksheets (Selected Worksheets)...

thank you.