4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2016 7:04 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Grand Total Issue

Joe Genisio

I need my grand total to sum while set to automatic to work properly for another field but cannot seem how to force it to sum the calculated field

Below is a screen shot showing the calc used to get the values and the issue of the grand total (19409) defaulting to average and not sum.  I am trying to get some so it should show 280086.

• 1. Re: Grand Total Issue
          corey levinson

Grand Totals only work when the numbers you are summing are continuous (green) not discrete (blue) I think

• 2. Re: Grand Total Issue
            Madhusudhan Khambham

Hi Joe,  Jonathan Drummey  has a great post on the grand total issues ,..Why Your Grand Total or Subtotal Isn't Working as Expected  please check and also share a sample workbook which we can have a look..and see what's going on...

• 3. Re: Grand Total Issue
              Joe Genisio

Thanks I read the grand total guide but I am still having issues I have added a few screen shots to the original post.

• 4. Re: Grand Total Issue
                Jonathan Drummey

Hi Joe,

In your initial post you wrote "I need my grand total to sum while set to automatic to work properly for another field but cannot seem how to force it to sum the calculated field". Based on my reading of what you wrote and my understanding of Tableau that's exactly what Tableau does, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

The Total using only affects the Grand Total displayed result, not the calculated result of the field in the Grand Total when used in other calculations, that's always Automatic. Here's an example using the CoffeeChain sample data where the Sales per State measure is SUM([Sales])/COUNTD([State]) and 2* Sales per State just multiplies that result by 2. This is what it looks like with Total Using Automatic for Sales per State:

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 9.58.15 AM.png

In this view I've changed the Total Using for Sales per State to Sum, that measure is affected but the 2* Sales per State measure is unchanged:

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 9.59.26 AM.png

If you'd like a different behavior please let us know and we can figure something out. I'm attaching the v9.3 workbook I used to create the above screenshots so you can use that to replicate what you are trying to do. (In general it's incredibly helpful for us as forum answerers to have a Tableau packaged workbook with sample data, it's a lot harder to answer questions just with text or screenshots).

Jonathan