9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 1:18 PM by kettan

View Data

Martin Stark

Hi tableau experts in the world,

can I use the "View data" option as a database, that can be used directly in the report as a new datasource without first export this as csv.

When i mark data, I want to use this directly for further analysis in tableau, but don't want to export this firts. Is there a way to paste or save it directly in my current report.

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: View Data
          Tom W

When you use the "View Data" option, you are viewing data for an existing connection. Why don't you just reuse that same connection in a new workbook?

• 2. Re: View Data
            Martin Stark

Thanks Tom,

my goal is just to use the extract of data within my analysis I get with filtering marking and so on. With filtering, marking etc I create a new subset of data within a report, that can be the basis for a further analysis. Instead of export this subset and load it again, I want to keep it in my current analysis/workbook, so that other users can use this and work on this further.

• 3. Re: View Data
              Tom W

Unfortunately there's no way to transfer this subset into a new source which is available for new workbooks. At least not a built in method I can think of anyway.

Perhaps it would make sense to apply your filters as Data Source filters within Tableau and publish / save that connection for further use?

• 4. Re: View Data
                kettan

can I use the "View data" option as a database, that can be used directly in the report as a new datasource without first export this as csv.

Yes, if we are talking about very small data, we can just select all, copy, and paste:

View, copy, paste data.gif

When i mark data, I want to use this directly for further analysis in tableau, but don't want to export this firts. Is there a way to paste or save it directly in my current report.

I think you will need to save your workbook as twbx and assume that is what you do.

-oOo-

IDEAS

You can influence Tableau to improve and expand their analytical data flow options by posting, up-voting and commenting ideas such as:

255   Use table worksheet as a datasource

25   Set multiple filters in one step

19   Extract children

15   More complete and configurable bookmarks for interactive presentations

14   Ability to capture and compare scenarios

• 5. Re: View Data
                  Martin Stark

that's fine! And what I'm looking for the moment.

• 6. Re: View Data
                    kettan

Great! Glad to hear 

Ps. I like your question very much. Tableau's analytic (data) flow features have room for improvements in this regard. Questions like yours are evidence of this!

• 7. Re: View Data
                      Tom W

Sorry I overthought the requirement gentlemen! I assumed you needed something more reusable and shareable than this.

I use the copy / paste dataset feature into Tableau all the time. I wish more people knew about it!

• 8. Re: View Data
                        Martin Stark

kettan,

there are some co-analysts they will work further with this subsets of data. I guess in enterprise companies you will more often have this requests to work on further with an outcome or selection you find in your report.

• 9. Re: View Data
                          kettan

I use the copy / paste dataset feature into Tableau all the time.

I too    Do you also use it in ways Martin described? I haven't.

My impression is that statisticians with background in statistical tools like SAS and R prefer to analyse data in steps, both upwards (build data sets upon other data sets) and sideways (compare data sets). I have no experience in SAS and R though, but think SQLish about data.