2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 12:24 AM by Melissa Black

Multiple dimensions into a group for filtering with duplicate fields from one dimension

Melissa Black

Hi,

I am struggling to create a filter for my data - I have tried calculated fields, parameters and sets and nothing does exactly what I want to do.

I have a data set that I would like to filter based on different conditions of multiple dimensions but I also would like certain fields to appear in multiple groups e.g.

The user can select set 1 or set 2 ....  in one filter and get the appropriate data

If

[Group 2]="A" OR

[Group 2]="B" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="A" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="B" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="C" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="A" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="B" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [If>3]=1 AND [Category]="C"

THEN "SET 2"

END

IF

[Group 2]="A" OR

[Group 2]="B" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [Category]="A" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [Category]="B" OR

[Group 2]="C" AND [Category]="C" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [Category]="A" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [Category]="B" OR

[Group 2]="D" AND [Category]="C"

THEN "SET 1"

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I have attached a demo workbook of the data.

Thanks

Mel

• 1. Re: Multiple dimensions into a group for filtering with duplicate fields from one dimension
          Benjamin Greene

Hey Melissa, I have attached a workbook with what I believe to be the solution you are looking for. Here's how to replicate it:

1. Edit the Set 1 and Set 2 calculated fields so that they end with ELSE "NULL " (note that the space before closing the quote is intentional)

2. Create a new calculated field (I called it Combo) that is simply [Set 1]+[Set 2]

3. Create a String parameter (I called it Select Set) with 3 values. The first value is simply a space, which is displayed as All, and the other two values are SET 1 and SET 2. Right-click the parameter and select "Show Parameter Control." I also like to format the parameter as a single value list.

4. Create a new calculated field (I called it Filter) whose syntax is

IF CONTAINS([Combo], [Select Set])

THEN "SHOW"

ELSE "HIDE"

END

5. Drag this field to the Filter card and filter on "Show"

Now, when you select a value in the parameter control, the Filter calculated field will only show rows whose Combo value contains the selected string. Since all values contain a space somewhere in them, that is why the "All" parameter value is only a space. Let me know if this works for you.

• 2. Re: Multiple dimensions into a group for filtering with duplicate fields from one dimension
            Melissa Black

Thank you very much! I had been struggling with this for a while.

Works perfectly!

Mel