8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 5:27 AM by . Vasic

Multiple SQL Querys on which level

. Vasic

Hey everyone!

I'm really new to tableau and to databases, so please tell me if my question is not understandable.

It is possible to use mutiple SQL Querys, but I would like to know where the Joins for multiple Querys will be executed. Is it on database-Level or on application-level?

Sorry, for my not so perfect english, hope you can help me.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
          Mark Fraser

HI Stefan

As far as I know (someone will probably say otherwise!) but I believe SQL queries will always execute against the database.

The types and order of joins will affect performance as will the volume of fields and data.

Personally, I tend to write a SQL view (could use a table)

I link the view/table to Tableau, and use Tableau for reporting

The SQL 'view' can be called for refresh when required (vs a table which can not)

The data stays in the database, and i just extract what i need into Tableau

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
            Mark Fraser

Sorry, for my not so perfect english

Didn't even notice!

• 3. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
              . Vasic

Thanks Mark, that helped a lot!

I'm glad that the community is so nice and helpful!

Have a nice day,

Cheers

• 4. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
                Mark Fraser

Hi Stefan

You're welcome, glad i could help.

I'm glad that the community is so nice and helpful!

Thank you for the feedback - we are very lucky with the community

If you have any further questions then please feel free to use the forums - we have all sorts of experts who can help!

Cheers

Mark

PS. I'm going to mark my answer correct to close the thread - if you feel that you still need help let me know, and I can try and help!

• 5. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
                  . Vasic

Perfect thank you!

There is one more question, but I don't know if I should start a new thread for it or ask you here.

The question itself isn't about the exact same topic.

So should I open a new thread everytime I have a new Question? I don't want to be annoying or something.

Cheers

Stefan

• 6. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
                    Mark Fraser

Hi Stefan

Im pleased you asked...

We normally encourage people to start a new thread - the reason, otherwise your new query is buried somewhere down an old thread, and escpailly its its been closed, people are unlikely to look at it.

Separately but related we sometimes have an issue where the thread starts of on subject A, then moves to B, then C and on...

Its much easier and cleaner to try and keep 1 thread = 1 topic

All that said - you can ask me here...

If I can help i will, and if not, ill try and find someone who can.

Its its an interesting topic, then we'll create a new thread - as others may have comments/ thoughts etc.

Finally, as English isn't your first language, I'm very impressed - as an English person who lives abroad (NL) i'm amazed at other people's language skills, mine are %&*#!

Cheers

Mark

• 7. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
                      Mark Fraser

PS. To discourage/ manage spammers we have auto-moderation on for 'new' users, its nothing personal.

After a few times, it should stop and you can post as normal.

I am a moderator, so hopefully your not held up too long in moderation!

• 8. Re: Multiple SQL Querys on which level
                        . Vasic

Hi Mark,

thank you once again for introducing me to the "rules" of the community. Now I'm not concerned anymore about how to act if I have a question.

If it's ok for you, I will post my question in a new thread, just how you already said to keep it cleaner

I try to articulate as good as i can, but I'm sure a lot of people here in Austria, are better than me , Dutch must be really moeilijk to learn!

As for the auto-moderation, it doesn't bother me mutch, I'm happy to have the opportunity to ask!