5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:28 AM by Mark Fraser

Double Counting Issues

Jacky Seow

Hi everyone,

I am currently facing an issues which is double counting. In Tableau when I dragged in the dimensions, this is what it shows.

What I actually wanted it to look like was this.

The last column shouldn't be showing the number of people twice but instead just once.

I really hope that someone could help me as I am struggling with this for quite sometimes.

Thank you very much !!!

• 1. Re: Double Counting Issues
          Mark Fraser

HI Jacky

I'm assuming you have done this...

Remove the highlighted items (on your worksheet) and instead find them on the left hand side, and double click them (one then the next)

Should swap the above to this

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Double Counting Issues
            Jacky Seow

Hi Mark,

I guess I have did that but this is the more clearer snapshot of the sheet.

I double clicked as you said but it's still the same.

Under the Month column, August the number of pax count is still showing double time isntead of just once.

Thanks for helping ! Hahaha

• 3. Re: Double Counting Issues
              Mark Fraser

HI Jacky

Now I can see a bit more of your screen, I think its a different issue... I will try and explain (this may not be easy )

Tableau groups similar items from left to right - but if you introduce a very granular item (such as account code) Tableau is forced to display more data (because account code is more granular)

So - I can take an educated guess, that each of the highlighted items has a different account number - because Tableau is splitting out some figures (4.49 + 25.42) in August, its the same in the next column along.

Do you need to display the account code?

Removing account code (from column) should group the amounts to the right of it... I would expect the above to become -

Butterly Park....                         $29.91                               4               (i dont know if its a count or sum, maybe it should be 2)

Ol - 4D....                                  $72.71                                4               (as above)

Does what i have said make any sense?

Otherwise the alternative is to try and define the figures some other way, but that could become very difficult.

if you could provide a small fake sample i can try and investigate further.

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Double Counting Issues
                Jacky Seow

Hi Mark,

Thank you for explaining it to me ! I have slowly grasp the hang of it. I really appreciate that you had taken time out to help me on this. I guess it's fine to remove the AccoutCode. The numbers are fine now. Once again thank you very much ! ! ! 

Regards,

Jacky

• 5. Re: Double Counting Issues
                  Mark Fraser

HI Jacky

Great news, thanks for letting me know!

As you use Tableau more, you'll get more used to dealing with certain behaviors.

And please feel free to use the forum as you continue with Tableau - they're loads of generous people here, who are always happy to help

All the best
                  Mark