4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 1:27 AM by siyang.teo

Filter with both defined and manual selection

siyang.teo

Hi, I am pretty new to tableau so please pardon if this is a silly question.

I am trying to make a:

• Single-value filter
        • with a list of predefined values
        • & also, a text option for user to key in a range of values

Is that possible in Tableau? Tried googling but was unable to find anything that resembles my needs.

Thanks,

Jake.

• 1. Re: Filter with both defined and manual selection
          Akram Ebrahim

Hi Siyang,

I'm not getting what you are trying to convey on the marked area.

Here is the single-value filter snapshot shared below.

Is that what you want ?

Thanks

Akram

• 2. Re: Filter with both defined and manual selection
            siyang.teo

Hi Akram,

Sorry my reply wasn't that clear; that is not what I was looking for.

I have attached a twbx file for your reference.

The data shows the speed of various animals, and I want to aggregate their speed of each species by several aggregation methods.

I have already made a filter with two types of aggregation, Average Speed & 50% Percentile Speed.

However, I also want to add one more aggregation  method in the filter. This is a free text with range limit of (0-100) Percentile Speed.

Is that even possible?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Filter with both defined and manual selection
              Amy Forstrom

Hi TEO,

We would love to know more about what you are trying to do if you have time to share.  Was your question answered?

Thanks,

Amy

• 4. Re: Filter with both defined and manual selection
                siyang.teo

Akram Ebrahim Amy Forstrom

Hi both, I have slightly reach to my goal, but not there yet. Please see this attached package instead.

So I have two parameter filters, one is a selection list. However, when a person select "Manual Percentile Speed" (1st filter), the person can type in "Manual Percentile Speed" (2nd filter), and the aggregation calculation will be done.

Capture.PNG

However, they are now only available as two filters, and it is not very intuitive to a user that they have to select "Manual Percentile Speed" in the first filter before they can type in the speed percentile in the next filter.

Hence, I am thinking if it is possible to combine the 2nd filter as subset of the first.

Alternatively, it will also be good enough if the 2nd filter is grey out, and only activated when the user select the "Manual Percentile Speed".

Thank you!

1 of 1 people found this helpful