10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2017 2:10 PM by Toby Erkson

Trigger View w/o Conditions

Andrew Bui

Hey all,

I am attempting to compose a trigger view for a specific dashboard. There is an value in the dashboard that if it exceeds, say $100, everyone under " Email To*" in the trigger view would be alerted. There is no relation between the email users and the data so how would I go about combining the data? Typically, the users would be related to the data in the dashboard but this time I am just working with a random list of people.

Thank you in advance!

Andrew

(thank you Matt for reminding me to move it to this group!)

• 1. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
          Matt Coles

Going to let someone else take this, I hog the questions too often.

• 2. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
            Jonathan Drummey

Assuming there are really distinct sources for the dashboard and the list of email addresses (such as the dashboard being built on Teradata and the email addresses coming from Excel) I'd build this using a Tableau data blend:

- The Advanced Alert trigger view is built using the list of email addresses.

- A filter based on the secondary source that uses the threshold is added to the trigger view so the email list only appears when the condition is met.

- The trigger view is published and subscribed to the appropriate alert schedule.

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
              Andrew Bui

Hey Jonathan,

Sorry, I am not following clearly. So I made the Advanced Alert with the Excel source of Email Lists. How do I use the secondary source with the threshold if there is no data connection? Don't I need matching columns in both data sources in order to use them both in the trigger sheet?

For example, my teradata source includes a USD value that I would like to use as a trigger. The trigger view is connected to the excel doc of emails. I would like to use the USD Value from the teradata source as a filter for the trigger: If the USD Value is > $100, all of the emails will be sent. If < $100, no one will be emailed.

Thank you in advance!

• 4. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                Jonathan Drummey

You don't need any matching columns to have a blend. Tableau will complain at you with a warning message but the blend will work fine.

Jonathan

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                  Andrew Bui

Ah...great! Thank you Jonathan! If you don't mind another question, how do I "pair" up the filter from the secondary source to the email list? For example, how do I confirm that when the USD Value is < $100, all of the emails will disappear, and when >$100, the emails will reappear.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 6. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                    Matt Coles

Wow, I didn't even know this. Here I was contriving dummy fields that repeated "1" just to have something to blend on, like a sucker! Thanks for sharing, Jonathan.

• 7. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                      Jonathan Drummey

I don’t know how familiar you are with data blending, all you need to do is add the $$ datasource as another data source, then drag the appropriate field from that data source to the Filters Shelf and chose 100 or more as the filter.

To confirm that this is working as expected you’ll need to play with the data, assuming that you are starting out with a value >100USD such that the filter would be showing all the emails then I’d add a data source filter (which is applied before all other filters) on your secondary $$ data source to reduce the # of records so the value is <100USD in that data source and you’ll see a blank trigger view.

If your data is starting out with too few records to pass the threshold then you could temporarily lower the threshold to validate it’s working.

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                        Jonathan Drummey

I actually do the same thing most of the time so that way when someone else opens a workbook I built they don’t get the warning, I’ve found it can freak people out who aren’t familiar with Tableau because it’s such a long and emphatic message.

Jonathan

• 9. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                          Matt Coles

Did this answer your question, Andrew? If so, could you please mark the answer as correct? Thanks!

• 10. Re: Trigger View w/o Conditions
                            Toby Erkson

Andrew Bui , did Jonathan's answer solve your issue?