10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 4:16 AM by Arvind Salunkhe

Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data

Rajeev Pandey

Hi Team.

Can anyone please help me in solving the below sample questions

1)Using Orders in Global Superstore, which Sub-Category has Standard Deviation for Sales and Profit one point more than the Mean of Sales and Profit?

2)Using Global Superstore, identify the Sub-Categories where Top 20 Customers that have Sales more than the other Sub-Categories in the same Region.

3)Using Global Superstore, identify the Regions where Top 20 Customers that have overall Profit Ratio (Profit as % of Sales) which is double the Profit Ratio of other Customers in the Region.

4)Using Orders and Returns on Global Superstore, identify the Manager whose Region Sales were greater than the Overall Average Sales?

Jonathan Drummey: Sir I am asking you a big favor,need your Guidance on this . How should I approach the above mentioned Problems? I did try to solve but I m not sure whether my approach is appropriate or not.

• 1. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
          Tom W

Hi Rajeev,

Rather than asking the community to solve your problems for you, you'd probably benefit more from breaking the individual problems down into sub questions. As an example - what have you tried for question 1? Where are you getting stuck? Is there a feature you're not sure of? I for one would benefit from seeing a Tableau Packaged Workbook to see how far you've gotten in solving this problem as well.

I'd prefer to help you learn the features versus just straight up doing the work for you.

I hope this makes sense

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
            Rajeev Pandey

Hello Mr. Toan

Apologies for not posting my approach earlier which causes enough trouble for Forum guys . In addition to that, there is some sort of misunderstanding that even without trying I asked directly and didnt even attach the Sample workbook.

I did try to solve above mentioned problem before and but I am not sure whether my approach is correct or not, thats why i didnt post any workbook or any screenshot but after reading your comments I realized I did a terrible mistake. I would never repeat this mistake in future.Please have a look and guide me whether I m in the right track or not.

If none of my approach is appropriate .Please point me to the right direction and also help me in understanding the Question 3

1. Using Orders in Global Superstore, which Sub-Category has Standard Deviation for Sales and Profit one point more than the Mean of Sales and Profit?

My approach:

As per the Question what I understood – we need to calculate the Z score. As we know, z-score (or standard score) of an observation is the number of standard deviations that it is above or below population mean.

To calculate a z-score we must know the population mean and the population standard deviation.

Steps :

I created three calculated Field:

Average Sales.

WINDOW_AVG(SUM([Sales]))

STDEVP Sales

WINDOW_STDEVP(SUM([Sales]))

Z-score.

(SUM([Sales]) - [Average Sales]) / [STDEVP Sales]

Similarly created another calculated field which is calculating Z scores Profit.

Below is my final result but I am not able to see any of the my desired Result

1. 2) Using Global Superstore, identify the Sub-Categories where Top 20 Customers that have Sales more than the other Sub-Categories in the same Region.

My Approach:

First I dragged Region, Sub Category and Customer Name into the Row Shelf and Sales measures on column Shelf.

Then I performed nested Sorting by combining the Sub –Categories and Customer Name Field.Now I added that combined Field in the Row Shelf and did the sorting

Then Created a Set of Top 20 Customers by sales and added it into the Filter shelf and below is my findings.

4) Using Orders and Returns on Global Superstore, identify the Manager whose Region Sales were greater than the Overall Average Sales?

My approach:

I created a Left join as below.

Then I created three Calculated Field as below

Total Sales for a particular region:

Region wise return Sales

% Returned Sales by Overall Sales

Once my calculation is ready, then I dragged “Person” and “Region” Dimension on my Rows and “% Returned Sales by Overall Sales” calculated Field on Column. I got the below result but not able to find the correct answer as it is showing nothing.

Pooja Gandhi : Sorry for the Trouble mam

Simon Runc : Need your guidance with the above problems

• 3. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
              Tom W

1). You've written - "Below is my final result but I am not able to see any of the my desired Result". What is your desired result? You need to re-read the question so you understand what you're meant to be looking for - you've calculated the result which will give you the answer to the question.

2). Do you have a question or a problem here?

4). In the example you've attached, I see a bar chart, not an empty view like you've shown:

• 4. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                Rajeev Pandey

Thanks for your reply .Truly appreciate your time and Guidance.

1)Regarding Question 1: I am little bit confused between the "Phone" and "chair" Subcategory option. As per my understanding both are correct ,so I just wanted to confirm with you one more time.

2)Regarding Question 2:"identify the Sub-Categories where Top 20 Customers that have Sales more than the other Sub-Categories in the same Region." In my approach i didn't even consider Region because when I am adding region, the whole sorting process is getting distorted. So I am not sure I have fully Solved the Problem.

3)Regarding Question 3: I am having no Idea how should I tackle this problem. What should be first step ?

4)Regarding Question 4: Have you made any changes in the Workbook because I m preety sure I applied the correct logic but no luck. Sir are you using the same database.

• 5. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                  Tom W

1. Confused between phone and chair how? What are you confused about?

2. I think you've misinterpreted the question here. You need to break it down into smaller problems.

3. Break the question down into smaller problems and try and solve each piece individually.

4. No, I just opened your workbook and that was how it displayed. I am using Tableau 9.3/

May I ask the purpose of this exercise? Whats the source of these questions? Is it a Tableau exam?

• 6. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                    Rajeev Pandey

I am not sure about the Tableau Exam but I got this Question from one of my friend who is trying to solve the above mentioned Questions.When I myself tried, I was also facing the same Issue so thought of asking the Community.

1)Regarding Question 1: which Sub-Category has Standard Deviation for Sales and Profit one point more than the Mean of Sales and Profit? Could you please make me understand the hidden statistical meaning of "one point more than"  which is used in the Question.How to actually decide which sub category justify the answer.

2) Regarding 2 and 3: Could you please help me in solving 2 and 3 because I seriously I m having no idea how to deal with this problem.

3)I will recheck again .As I have prepared the workbook through Tableau 9.3 .Currently I m in office and I m having Tableau 9.2 installed .Cant really check .May be while taking screenshot I accidentally applied Filter

• 7. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                      Tom W

Hi Rajeev,

A large part of the problem here is that you're asking us to interpret what is meant by the questions themselves, not how to actually implement them in Tableau. This is why I asked "Where have these questions come from?". The source is important because I think in some instances only they can explain what they mean / what there intention was with the questions.

A great example "one point more than" - a point could be a percentage point or even just "1" above the previous.

Given that this is you, asking on behalf of a friend, I would recommend you go back and ask your friend to drill back to the source of the questions to get more guidance. I don't really have the time to go through the exercise of preparing the analysis you've asked, but I'm happy to answer specific questions you have or help you solve specific problems. But please understand that what you're asking is more along the lines of "please do this for me and solve this problem" which is time consuming and a lot of people would consider it outside of the bounds of the types of things we normally answer on here.

• 8. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                        Rajeev Pandey

Hi Toan.

Whatever You said, I truly respect every word of you . I m still struggling in few part of the Questions and you beautifully pointed out with "One more Point "  example. I was also having the same confusion. To be very honest ,even I can leave that Question but I cant sleep without solving those problems.The sentence used in the question is quite confusing . Sorry to bother you so much but I m sure I can crack this problem with your little Guidance.

Sorry Once again I am asking too much .

• 9. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                          Rajeev Pandey

Hi Tableau team

Still struggling to get the answer. Please Guide me

• 10. Re: Tableau Sample Questions with Sample Superstore data
                            Arvind Salunkhe

Answer to the question is calculating Z-Scores for both sales and profit seperately

Z-Score Sales

(SUM([Sales])-WINDOW_AVG(SUM([Sales])))/WINDOW_STDEVP(SUM([Sales]))

Z-Score Profit

(SUM([Profit])-WINDOW_AVG(SUM([Profit])))/WINDOW_STDEVP(SUM([Profit]))

Drag both in column shelf and product subcategory in rows

CLick on traingle for table calculation for Z-Score Sales and Z-Score Profit and select Compute using SubCategory.

Make it Dual Axis then Synchronise Axis

Create a Reference line of 1 .

Check which subcategory has both Z-Scores above 1 .

I have published Workbook on Tableau Public . HOpe this helps

https://public.tableau.com/static/images/Z-/Z-Score_2/Sheet1/1.png