6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 8:06 AM by Navi Suresh

How to apply a filter to all charts?

Navi Suresh

Hello,

I have a dashboard with two similar charts, with one filter. When I click on, say, Europe in the legend and "exclude" it, only the Undergraduate table is affected.

Both the charts are set to "Use as filter". What else am I missing?

Thanks!

Capture1.PNG

• 1. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
          Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

When you add a filter to a worksheet, by default it only applies to the current worksheet. Sometimes you may want to apply the filter to other worksheets in the workbook.

You can select specific sheets to apply the filter to or apply it globally to all worksheets that use the same data source. For example, you may have a filter that only includes a specific region or product of interest. Rather than adding this filter every time you create a new worksheet, you can simply create the filter once and then apply it to all worksheets using the same data source.

Sharing Filters

• 2. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
            Benjamin Greene

Hey Navi, as I understand it, the "Use as Filter" option automatically applies an action filter, which I don't think is the kind of filter you want in this situation. Instead, after excluding Europe, you should go to the Undergraduate sheet and you should see a new, automatically generated Exclusions filter in the Filters card. If you right-click that pill, you can apply that filter to the Graduate sheet as well and go back to the dashboard. Now it should behave the way you want it to.

• 3. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
              Navi Suresh

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to permanently exclude Europe from my chart, but give dashboard users the option to see the chart without Europe. The method that you mentioned removes Europe from the analysis entirely, right?

• 4. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
                Navi Suresh

Thanks for the reply! I am not using an actual filter, but just using the legend as one -- could that be why it is not being applied to all the sheets?

• 5. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
                  Benjamin Greene

It's hard for me to be 100% sure without looking at the workbook directly, but when you select Keep Only or Exclude in a Color Legend, Tableau automatically applies a filter based on your selection. So even though you are not using a Quick Filter, Tableau still treats it the same way. To test this, you can Exclude a region using the color legend and then check the Filters card. You should see a new Exclusions or Region filter in there. The problem you're running into is that this filter is only applied to the Undergraduate sheet, so you need to apply the filter to the Graduate sheet as well.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to apply a filter to all charts?
                    Navi Suresh

Thanks! I tried it out -- makes sense now!