1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 1:02 PM by Sarah McGraw

Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards

Sarah McGraw

Hello everyone,

Post number two about this very simple first dashboard.

I am going to need to make several (possibly a LOT more than several, actually) different versions of this dashboard, some of which will have a filter to select alternate performance measures.

To do this well, the text (title, caption, axes, possibly more) will have to shift dynamically along with the data, and I have put that text into a source table to make this possible. However, as far as I can tell, the only places where I can actually insert an element are in the title and caption, and options for placing them on the dashboard seem pretty limited.

Ideally, I would like to be able to insert text from my source table in more spots in the chart source worksheet: the y-axis, for starters. If I could just insert those elements into text objects that would work fine. For example, I could just use a floating text box AS my y-axis, if I could just get a dynamic element in there. I would also like to populate additional description fields with table data, which would probably have to happen at the dashboard level.

However I end up organizing the display of this data, I currently have approx. 65 different measures to account for, most of which will need customized y-axes, descriptions, etc. That's a lot of hand entry I would like to avoid, especially when it comes to making any language or style changes the customer might request later on.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
          Tom W

Hi Sarah,

I think you will have more luck by asking specific questions as it relates to your example.

• 2. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
            Sarah McGraw

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to make my question more specific. Do you have any suggestions? In my example, the text in the title and caption fields are imported from a table. I would like to know whether it's possible to import text into a dashboard text box or any other specific fields, such as axis labels.

The chart now only has those two text fields populated--but there are at least two more labels I would like to insert into the graph (the category code and category name the specific measure falls inside, as well as a more techinical data definition) , and from a design standpoint, I'd rather not just smash them all into the title field. These text fields would need to shift based on what data is in the visualization.

Also, if I cannot find a way to make the y-axis labels shift dynamically with the data, I may not be able to use a dropdown to allow the user to choose a visualization. That would mean I'd need to build a separate dashboard for each of approx. 65 measures. I would much rather build five or six and let the user switch out the data.

• 3. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
              Tom W

Here's a couple of good starting points;

• Is it possible to import text into a dashboard text box
                • Not really. The best workaround is to create a sheet which contains your dynamic data either as the body of the sheet or in the header of that sheet then you hide everything else in the sheet. Then you include that sheet in the dashboard as normal
                • When you say you need the labels to shift - shift where and how? If the position of these labels is important, I'm afraid you would need to create each iteration of the dashboard by hand.
              • "Is it possible to set axis labels based off data within the file dynamically?".

Y Axis labels will scale automatically if you have the Range option set to automatic.

• 4. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                Sarah McGraw

Thanks for this.

I don't need the positions of the additional text info to change; just the content, so the extra worksheet option might work for me. I'll play with this.

For the y-axis question, it looks like some of the parameter-based workarounds mentioned in the page you linked might help.

Thank you, and I'll report back with my progress.

-Sarah

• 5. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                  Sarah McGraw

If I understand the parameter examples you linked, they won't actually work for me. I was hoping to be able to import data elements, not field names--or did I misunderstand?

Here's a more specific example:

In my title I link the element <Success-Measure_Title>, which pulls the title from my source data, and in the caption I insert the element <Success-Measure_Def>, which pulls a description from my source.

I filter the graph on Code=DD1.1, which causes the correct title and caption to display. I'd like to insert element <y-axis> into the y-axis entry field, which would then display the y-axis string associated with DD1.1 in my source: "Average number of views per day". It looks like the examples in the linked thread allow me to import a field name of my choice, not an element within that field (so that my y-axis would be named "y-axis"). That seems potentially very useful, but not like a solution to this particular question.

I'll dig around some more.

• 6. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                    Tom W

The Title field for the axis isn't dynamic in the way you need it to be.

How about this:

Insert y-axis into your sheet on the Rows shelf, rotate the text orientation and hide the header for the dimension (right click, deselect show header).

Here's an example of what I was able to achieve (I selected two different 'codes' to demonstrate how it's dynamic and also changed the range on the axis to 'Independent axis ranges')

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                      Sarah McGraw

This looks promising. Hmmmm…

I’ll let you know if this works for me.

-Sarah McGraw

• 8. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                        Phillip Overpeck

You can use captions to dynamically display text data. I use captions to create dynamic titles for my visualizations. They react to the value of a parameter. I have attached an example based on super store sales.

I created 1 parameter and 3 calculated fields. 1 calculated field is just a black field, one is the dynamic text field, and the other is a dynamic measure field.

I hope this helps.

• 9. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                          Sarah McGraw

Thanks, Phillip. Based on looking at your sheet, it seems like it would be necessary to create an additional worksheet for each text field on the final dashboard?

• 10. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                            Phillip Overpeck

Yes, if I am understanding your question correctly.

Essentially you have to have one worksheet for each dynamic title, or element you want. You could include multiple dynamic texts into one caption. It just depends on how useful that would be for your specific needs.

• 11. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                              Sarah McGraw

Ok, I think this should work fine.

One question--barring other reasons to set up a parameter, is there any reason you'd want to set the dynamic text with a parameter instead of any other kind of option filter? Currently, I have allowable categories specified in a set, which I've put into the filter with the option to choose one category from the dropdown. Aside from allowing the very annoying "choose all" option, this does seem to work fine to select the correct data. Why might using a parameter better than doing it this way?

(That being said, I may soon be switching to parameters for another reason.)

Thanks again!

• 12. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                                Phillip Overpeck

In this case, a parameter was just a quick and easy way to demonstrate. This should work with an ordinary dimension field, as long as you are doing single select filters.

You can also customize your single select filters to hide the all option.

• 13. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                                  Sarah McGraw

Hi Phillip--

I thought I had this all worked out! Well, maybe not. There's one more sticking point.

• I have a parameter control to swap worksheets.
                                  • I have a dashboard with the worksheets dropped in to a shared container, titles hidden, so they collapse to nothingness when the parameter excludes that sheet.
                                  • I have a worksheet JUST for the title, with the parameter control dropped into the filter so that the title swaps with the filter.

Now I just want to put this into my dashboard. The problem is that, when I do that, it also inserts a little blue box where the corresponding empty chart would be. How can I get it to hide that thing? I'll need to do the same for a caption box  and possibly a few additional text fields.

The good news is, once I solve this problem (maybe with your help?), I think I MAY have solved all the major design stumbling blocks in my way for this first tableau project. I've learned a lot in the last three days.

• 14. Re: Importing text from a table into worksheets and dashboards
                                    Phillip Overpeck

Without seeing your actual worksheet. I think all you need to do is switch the chart type from automatic to text on the marks card

1 2 Previous Next