7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 11:58 PM by Sandeepa Hande

Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation

Sandeepa Hande

Hi Everyone,

I am leveraging tabcmd to publish the .tds and .twb files to Tableau Server 9.3. The publish activity is successful, but not all of the workbook thumbnails are getting generated. Thumbnails are generated for a few of the workbooks, missing entirely for a few and available partially for the rest (only a few of the views in a workbook display thumbnails). Here is the sequence of the publish activities:

Login via Tabcmd

Publish .tds via Tabcmd

Refreshextract datasource published (from the step above) via Tabcmd with synchronous option mentioned

Publish .twb via Tabcmd (.twb points to the datasource refreshed above)

Logout via Tabcmd

Please note that the workbook (.twb) does not contain any user based filters. Kindly let me know if there is a workaround for this issue.

Thank you.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 1. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
          Jeff Strauss

I haven't seen this before, but try rebuilding the index (via the server portal admin interface) and see if this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
            Sandeepa Hande

Jeff,

Thank you. Unfortunately, rebuilding the Search Index has not helped me.

Regards,

Sandeep

• 3. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
              Jeff Strauss

what version of 9.3?

Toby Erkson  I think you're on 9.3, have you run into this?

• 4. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
                Toby Erkson

I haven't heard any grumblings from my users so I haven't run into it.  The vast majority of my users do a regular Desktop publish.

My first advice is to make sure the version of TABCMD is the same version as your Tableau Server.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
                  Jeff Strauss

good point about tabcmd same version.  Sandeepa, if none if this works, then open a case.

fyi, I do plenty of tabcmd publish of datasources, but not really any automated tabcmd publish of workbooks.  What is the purpose of auto-publishing workbooks?  Once you refresh the TDS, then the existing published workbook should reflect the changes as long as it points to the datasource on the TS.

• 6. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
                    Toby Erkson

I skimmed through the Views on my Server and did find a couple thumbnails that were not showing an image.  One required a login/password (no embedded credentials) and one simply had no chart because there was no data for that particular view (other views in the workbook, from the same data source, did display a thumbnail image), even the thumbnail in the workbook had the default image

So there can be a reason why some thumbnails do not display.

I did come across one thumbnail that was blank but did have a viz in it and in the workbook when I downloaded it.  No explanation for that so even with a regular Desktop publish it appears this is a possibility.  It was a lesser version (non-9.3).  However, the other views in the workbook had thumbnails. 

• 7. Re: Tabcmd - inconsistent thumbnail generation
                      Sandeepa Hande

Toby Erkson Tableau Server Version: 9.3.0 (9300.16.0315.0125) 64-bit

Tabcmd version used matches with the server version as I am publishing the workbooks and tds from the system hosting the Tableau server.

All of the thumbnails that are blank show the viz on navigating to the views on the portal and there is no issue with the dashboards being displayed.

A quick observation, the issue persisted even after deleting the workbooks and republishing them via Tabcmd. It is just that there are random empty thumbnails displayed every time the workbooks are published, showing that there is no clear pattern to indicate if this issue is specific to a subset of workbooks or views. Republishing the workbooks is the only way to try getting the thumbnails refreshed, I believe.

I did restart Tableau server as a workaround measure, and repeated the publish steps, and all of the thumbnails are now up. Not sure what the root cause was. Will report on this thread if I notice the issue recurring in future.

Jeff Strauss We have a need to automate publishing the datasources and workbooks considering the high number of workbooks/datasources and also the frequency of publishing activities.

Thank you.