3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 5:08 AM by pulkit jain

Update selection based on Eastern Standard Time

michelle.pace

Hi there,

I have a table called "Tested Times" in my workbook https://public.tableau.com/views/PPBacktestResults/BackTestResults?:embed=y&:display_count=yes

Is it possible in Tabluea that everytime somebody views my page a request is made (to where I am not sure... some sort of time server) on what time it is in the Eastern Standard TimeZone. Based on what time it is, the current period of my table will be automatically selected.

I know it's a stab in the dark but I thought perhaps there is a remote chance this is possible.

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

• 1. Re: Update selection based on Eastern Standard Time
          pulkit jain

Hi,

I am not sure if I got your question right.. but I am guessing you want your report to show the current time period data and should take the time when user is accessing the report.

That can be done through the calculated column as you can use 'NOW()' function  to get the current time from tableau server and then you can adjust that calculation for time difference to get correct EST time. now use this calculated field as a filter in report to show only this time period.

Regards,

Pulkit

• 2. Re: Update selection based on Eastern Standard Time
            michelle.pace

Super, thaks Pulkit. That sounds like what I need. I'll have a try and see if I can get it working, thank-you.

What I've just seen however from the NOW spec NOW() Function Returns UTC Time | Tableau Software  is that it is indeed UTC time returned. Eastern Standard time at the moment is 4 hours behind UTC time. But how would I eloquently manage the calculation for daylight savings? All I can think of is in the calculation incorporating the date daylight savings kicks in for EST. However, I am sure that I am not the first person to come across this scenario.

Does anyone have a better idea on how to get EST (incorporating day light saving) from the Tableau Server?

Thanks again,

Michelle

• 3. Re: Update selection based on Eastern Standard Time
              pulkit jain

Hi Michelle,

In Tableau there is no automatic calculation to adjust daylight savings/timezones you have to do a manual calculation only

Though you can easily find the calculation already created easily over the net.

Regards,

Pulkit