6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 9:26 AM by Nikhilan Albert

problem with sheet selector using cubes data

priya.danda

Hello All,

I am using Tableau 9.2 and I am working on cubes data and I am trying to apply sheet selector in my dashboard as I have 4-5 sheets and my user wants all sheets in a single dashboard, in this case according to the user requirement Sheet Selector would help me in the process.

It worked totally fine with regular data source but when connected to cube data I cannot apply sheet selector

Process I did:

1.Created a parameter named as Select Level- String- Use list and used 4 different sheets which I needed in my dashboard

2.Created a calculated field (select) and dragged the parameter [Select Level] in to calculation field

3.For each sheet I dragged the calculation (select) to my filter and I cannot see the custom value list here like when connected to sql server/excel, I can see only one sheet name in the filter and I tried selecting it but I get the error like  INVALID FIELD FORMULA DUE TO LIMITATIONS IN DATA SOURCE, I am not sure what the error is.

Here is the screen shot

This is my parameter and I have 4 sheets selected in my parameter field.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here,I did this process without using cubes data it worked fine.Kindly help me through the process.

Thanks,

Priya

• 1. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
          Joshua Milligan

Hi Priya,

This type of behavior is common to cubes because of the way cubes are designed.

However, you might try something like this:

• Create a new data source (something like a text file or Excel) with one row of data (doesn't matter what).
          • Connect to that data source
          • Create the calculated field you mentioned above in the new data source
          • in the sheets you want to show/hide, drag and drop the field from the secondary source onto the Filters shelf and filter to the appropriate value.
          • You might get a warning message that there are no relationships defined for the blend, but you can safely ignore that in this case, because you just want to use the blend to show/hide the sheet.

Hope that helps!

Joshua

• 2. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
            priya.danda

Thanks for the prompt reply but when I tried creating a excel data source and applying calculated field to the filter(show/hide)

I am getting the error like

and if I ignore the window and click ok my sheet looks like

sheet is kind of hiding.Please let me know what mistake I am doing here.

one quick question, if I create a sample excel data source and connect it and apply  a calculated field to the sheet to get sheet selector and if it works good (like your idea), how does it work with my live cube data, I mean when my dashboard completes and  export to the server,my user has the cube data but they don't have  excel file. Excel file is my local excel file and its not live right and not stored in my server?

I am a newbie kindly suggest me.

Thanks,

Priya

• 3. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
              priya.danda

Joshua Milligan

Hello,

creating a second data source and applying sheet selector is working with the cubes but when I try to create a dashboard, I am losing the cube connection this is happening only while creating a dashboard not while working with the sheets and the error is

This is what happening while creating a dashboard, does anyone know what causing this error ?

Thanks,

Priya

• 4. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
                Nikhilan Albert

Hi Priya,

Did you get it solved ??

I had a very similar situation and I got it to work.

Let me know if you need help.

-Nikhilan.

• 5. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
                  priya.danda

Thank You Nikhilan Albert, I got it worked..

Process I did:

step 1-Created a Parameter "select sheets" and used Integer data type and next selected List

and in values typed 1 and Display as sheet 1

value name as 2 and display as sheet 2

value name as 3 and display as sheet 3

step 2-Created a calculated field named as sheet select filter and dragged the parameter [select sheets]

step 3-for sheet 1, I dragged the sheet select filter into filter and selected range as 1-1 and applied show parameter to the view

for sheet 2, I dragged the sheet select filter into filter and selected range as 2-2 and applied show parameter to the view

for sheet 3, I dragged the sheet select filter into filter and selected range as 3-3 and applied show parameter to the view

This is the process I did for sheet swapping with cube data, let me know if have a more simple procedure or different procedure, I would always love to learn something new..

Thanks,

Priya

• 6. Re: problem with sheet selector using cubes data
                    Nikhilan Albert

Hi Priya...

That's nice that you found a way.

I used a much simpler way.

So with cubes, parameters have to be used in certain ways.

1. Created the parameter

group.jpg

2. From an existing filter, In the conditional tab under formula section, called the parameter,

fdfsds.jpg

3. Do the same thing for every sheet and it works. Easy :-)

Cheers,

Nikhilan.