8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2017 1:16 PM by Desi Kaddu

Fix: How to remove the double-click action button on drill-down actions.

Samuel Santos

I've seen this issue posted in several places around the Tableau Community as well as other blogs and forums. Recently, I’ve stumbled across a solution that seems to work perfectly and removes the need for users to double-click a return button when they revisit a drill down page using an action.

Just as a caution, I found this method using Tableau version 9.2 and have not had much chance to play around with it. I'm not sure if this solution is available or will work on other versions of Tableau.

To summarize the issue:

You can make an action to drill-down on a value, from say a bar chart like below, to give me more details on let's say East region sales.

Select Drill-Down Value.PNG

When you click that bar, the Action Filter drill-down takes the you to another Dashboard (Child/Target Dashboard) with a list of Profits by Region, Category, and Sub-Category. Say you place a Back Button action for users to select to return to the bar chart. You click this button and it takes you back to the original Dashboard (Parent/Source Dashboard).

Drill Through Page Unselected.png

The problem users have now is when they decide to drill-down on another Region, like West, the Back button is still selected from the previous drill-down and Back action. User must click on the button once to de-select the button, and then click once more to activate the Back action again,

Drill Through Page Selected Highlighted.PNG

Here’s the solution I’ve found and an attached workbook as an example.

Step One: Create your parent and child dashboards.

First you’ll need the dashboards you are trying to switch back and forth between. For my example I used a simple Bar Chart and List using the Superstore Tableau data source.

Select Drill-Down Value.PNG  and  Drill Through Page Unselected.png

Step Two: Create "Blank" and "Back" Calculated Fields.

Chances are, you’ve already done this as part of your button creation. You’ll need to create two Calculated Fields:

• First Calculated Field, title it Blank and make the calculation - “”
      • The second Calculated Field, title it Back and make the calculation - “Back”

Make sure Blank is a Detail of each one of your worksheets involved in the action filters.

Use these as the Field and Detail values of your Back Button worksheet like below. Color is up to you. Use this Back Button in your target dashboard and format size and color to your choosing.

Back Button Sheet.PNG

Step Three: Parent Dashboard Actions.

Select Drill-Down Value.PNG

You'll need 2 Actions on your Parent/Source dashboard and they must be in a particular order. To keep them in the right order I've Named them putting a "1" and a "2" in the front of the name. My names and values are as follows:

• "1 Show Back Button"
        • Source sheets Drop-down: Your Parent/Source dashboard. (In my example workbook: Bar Graph Dashboard)
          • Only worksheet selected should be the worksheets used to drill down. (In my example workbook: Bar Graph Sheet worksheet)
        • Run Action on: Select
        • "Run on single select only": Unchecked
        • Target Sheets Drop-down: Your Back Button Worksheet (NOT the dashboard)
          • There should be no option available to check.
        • Clearing the selection will: "Leave the filter"
        • Target Filters: Selected Fields - Source:Blank Target:Blank

Action Filter 1.PNG

• "2 Regular Drill Through Action"
        • Source sheets Drop-down: Your Parent/Source dashboard. (In my example workbook: Bar Graph Dashboard)
          • Only worksheet selected should be the worksheets used to drill down. (In my example workbook: Bar Graph Sheet worksheet)
        • Target Sheets Drop-down: Your Child/Target Dashboard
          • Only check the Worksheet that you want to filter by value. Do not check the Back Button worksheet.
        • Clearing the selection will: "Show all values"
        • Target Filters: Any filters you would normally use for the drill down. I've only used Region as this is the only filter value I wanted passed from the Bar Graph to the List.

Action Filter 2.PNG

Make sure the Actions are in this order

Action Filters Dash1.PNG

Step Four: Child Dashboard Actions.

Drill Through Page Unselected.png

You'll also need 2 Actions on your Child/Target Dashboard and they must be in a particular order as well. I've used a "3" and a "4" in the front of the name to keep order. My names and values are as follows:

• "3 Regular Drill Back Action W/Blank Filter"
        • Source sheets Drop-down: Your Child/Target Dashboard. (In my example workbook: Detail Dashboard)
          • Only worksheet selected should be the Back Button worksheet. (Named Back in my example)
        • Target Sheets Drop-down: Your Parent/Source dashboard. (In my example workbook: Bar Graph Dashboard)
          • Check the Worksheets that you used to filter to the Child/Target Dashboard.
        • Target Filters: Selected Fields - Source:Blank Target:Blank

• "4 Make Button Sheet Disappear and Glitch"
        • Source sheets Drop-down: Your Child/Target Dashboard. (In my example workbook: Detail Dashboard)
          • Only worksheet selected should be the Back Button worksheet. (Named Back in my example)
        • Target Sheets Drop-down:Your Back Button Worksheet (NOT the dashboard)
          • There should be no check-able options under
        • Target Filters: Selected Fields - Source:Blank Target:Back
          • This is where the "Back" Calculated Field comes in to play.

Action Filter 4.PNG

Make sure the Actions are in this order.

Action Filters Dash2.PNG

Step Five: Try it out!

That should be everything needed to get the back buttons working properly! No more pesky Double-Click!

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

When you're ready to save your workbook, or before publishing, you MUST navigate to the Child/Target Dashboard and back to the Parent/Source Dashboard before saving or publishing (DO NOT use the action filters/buttons, DO use the built in Tableau Desktop tabs to do this). If you publish or save immediately after un-selecting the action filter on your Parent/Source Dashboard, the Back Button will not appear on your Child/Target Dashboard and this will not work next time you open the workbook.

If you forget to do this before saving and closing, you can fix it by going to the Back Button Worksheet, Edit the Action (Back) and Action (Blank) Filters, and make sure all values show. Then Navigate to the Child/Target Dashboard and you'll be good to go.