2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 2:47 PM by Barry Sheldon

Calculated Field on Multiple Sheets

Barry Sheldon

Greetings,

I have a sheet that displays data exactly how I like to see it.  But, I'm trying to create a dashboard which shows that same sheet filtered 6 different ways (thus displaying the sheet 6 times).  My understanding is that Tableau cannot display a sheet on a dashboard multiple times, so I've copied my sheet 6 different times and I will filter each of these new sheets, then load them onto the dashboard.

My problem is this - I have calculated fields and parameters on the primary sheet.  When I copy it 6 times, I can't change the parameters on one sheet without all of them changing.  Any idea how to make my calculated fields "local" to only the sheet that is currently showing?  That way I can reproduce the sheet, change the parameters, and the calculations will work on each separate sheet.

EDIT - here's some more clarity that shows pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do:

Here's some more explanation on what's happening.  A few weeks ago, I built out a 5-year range for Tableau (link to the base file:Creating a 5-Year Range Chart).

Now, I have this base 5-year range chart and what I do is feed the chart a set of data based on a filter from a very large database.  I have 100+ names in the 'Name' column of my database which allow me to see a 5-year range for 100+ different data series when I filter by Name.  Essentially, I am trying to create a dashboard which shows 6 different copies of this 5-year range chart, but each chart will be filtered by one of the 100+ names.

A way to think of it is that I have a way of looking at the performance of say, a student, and I am trying to look at 6 students at the same time.

My ultimate goal is essentially this - a button on a dashboard that allows me to select "School" and when I select "School", it will show the charts of the performance of 6 Students in the school.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make 6 of the Students show from one school.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Calculated Field on Multiple Sheets
          Brad Clark

Hi Barry, I'm not sure how I would approach that particular question, can you expand on why you would want to display it this way? I would imagine that if I changed a parameter on a dashboard, I'd want it to reflect that change across the board. Example: If I'm looking at a map that shows Sales information, if I change a parameter to reflect now Profit information, I'd want that to update in all of my fields to reduce confusion.

Since you said it's the same sheet, I'm guessing that you have your parameter with 6 options, and you want your audience to see all 6 options at the same time? I think the way to approach that would be to remove the parameter, and just create individual sheets with each of the 6 options displayed.

• 2. Re: Calculated Field on Multiple Sheets
            Barry Sheldon

Hi Brad,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Here's some more explanation on what's happening.  A few weeks ago, I built out a 5-year range for Tableau (link to the base file: Creating a 5-Year Range Chart).

Now, I have this base 5-year range chart and what I do is feed the chart a set of data based on a filter from a very large database.  I have 100+ names in the 'Name' column of my database which allow me to see a 5-year range for 100+ different data series when I filter by Name.  Essentially, I am trying to create a dashboard which shows 6 different copies of this 5-year range chart, but each chart will be filtered by one of the 100+ names.

A way to think of it is that I have a way of looking at the performance of say, a student, and I am trying to look at 6 students at the same time.

My ultimate goal is essentially this - a button on a dashboard that allows me to select "School" and when I select "School", it will show the charts of the performance of 6 Students in the school.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to make 6 of the Students show from one school.

Thanks!