1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 4:48 PM by diego.medrano

Description for Event  XXXX in source YYYY cannot be found (Tableau Server)

Stoo Brighting

I guess this isn't a question, because I've solved it, but I thought I'd post the solution here since I couldn't find it anywhere else online. Someone else might find it useful. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, or who else may have this issue.

Install specifics for me are:

Server 2012 R2

4 cpu, 16gig ram

x64 Tableau Server v9.3.4

Installed to drive other than system drive (D:\ in my case)

Basically when installing Tableau Server, you may see errors in the application event log, complaining that the description for event ID XXXX in source YYYY cannot be found.

In my case they were:

The description for event ID 4096 in source Tableau Server cannot be found...

The description for event ID 0 in source PostgreSQL cannot be found...

The description for event ID 4096 in source Tableau Server (Cluster Controller) cannot be found...

These are some simple registry keys that are either missing, or incorrect at install. Paste the following into a .reg file, and merge with registry to fix.

You'll need to update the paths to the location of your Tableau install if they are different from mine.

After making the changes, I dont believe you need to restart or anything, and the change is retrospective - old events get fixed by doing this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\Tableau Server]

"EventMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/bin/NTEventLogAppender.amd64.dll"

"CategoryMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/bin/NTEventLogAppender.amd64.dll"

"TypeSupported"=dword:00000007

"CategoryCount"=dword:00000006

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\Tableau Server (Cluster Controller)]

"EventMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/bin/NTEventLogAppender.amd64.dll"

"CategoryMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/bin/NTEventLogAppender.amd64.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\PostgreSQL]

"EventMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/pgsql/lib/pgevent.dll"

"CategoryMessageFile"="D:/Tableau Server/9.3/pgsql/lib/pgevent.dll"

I'd be interested to see if this happens to everyone, and what versions are affected by this - its just sloppy install scripts I think.

Anyway, I hope this helps some other people and saves someone some time, it didn't take me too long to figure it out and fix it, but for someone unfamiliar with how eventlogging works, this may take a while given there didn't seem to be much out there on this!