4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2018 1:04 PM by Chris McClellan

Triangulation Using Tableau?

Michael Hesser

I'd like to see if I could use Tableau and some of its remarkable mapping functions for Triangulation. This could have many uses, such as locating the epicenter of an earthquake.

This is my thought:

• Using the map, the user would "plop" down the center of the first circle.
      • By using a parameter (or even better: by dragging), the user would determine the radius of the circle.
        • Note: the radius of the circles would remain constant regardless of magnification level; in other words, as you zoom in, the circle gets larger.
      • User would repeat this process for up to 3 bubbles.

Thereafter, the user could zoom in to determine points of intersection. Finished product may look something like this:

Challenges: "plopping down the center" proved to be difficult. I made a work-around by creating 9 parameters (Latitude A,B,C; Longitude A, B, C; and Radius A, B, C). It's unlikely that the user will know the Latitude & Longitude, however: far more reasonable for him/her to know the center point is "the corner of Main & Tableau Terrace."

If Tableau isn't the right tool for this job, that's cool, too. I'm curious to see if any of you could help me crack this!

• 1. Re: Triangulation Using Tableau?
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Michael,

This looks like a great project.  Is there any underlying data related to these center points that Tableau is connected to?  From reading this, it sounds like a use case entirely built to interact with the points on a map rendered in Tableau unrelated to data.  Maybe that's just my mis reading of the post though.  If there is no underlying data, then you may want to investigate Mapbox's tools - Developers | Mapbox  and API's as they might a better solution. 

If there is underlying data and you have worked a bit on this in Tableau, could you post a sample workbook to share with the community? 

Patrick

• 2. Re: Triangulation Using Tableau?
            Michael Hesser

Hi Patrick and thank you for your response.

You are correct-- I'm afraid I don't have any underlying data at this point: it's a project dependent on user-entered values.

Unfortunately, we know Tableau's not so good at that (filters: YES, parameters, YES: but point-and-click/user-enter-values: not so much).

I'll check out your recommendation (Thank You!) and see if it can solve all my woes

If not, maybe I'll bring this to the 2016 Conference and see what I can find?

• 3. Re: Triangulation Using Tableau?
              Patrick A Van Der Hyde

That sounds great Michael.  I have marked this 'assumed answered'.  If you come to TC, please be sure to stop by the community area and say hi. 

Patrick

• 4. Re: Triangulation Using Tableau?
                Chris McClellan

Michael Hesser wrote:

If Tableau isn't the right tool for this job, that's cool, too. I'm curious to see if any of you could help me crack this!

I'd be using Google Maps and JavaScript to so this.  Tableau can't do the plop the centre/mark a pin data capture but Google can