3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 10:54 AM by David Li

Stacked Area Chart - Time Scale Even Ticks

Avra Goldman

I'm trying to make the x axis time scale with even tick marks. Currently, 2016 tick marks are spaced wider than the 2014 and 2015. So the 2016 scale is the same width as the other two years, which has data for the 12 months for each year. I think the 2016 section should be skinnier to reflect that it only includes 3 months. How do I make that happen?

• 1. Re: Stacked Area Chart - Time Scale Even Ticks
          David Li

Hi Avra! Try double-clicking on the date axis and setting "Uniform axis range for all rows and columns". If that doesn't seem to work, you can also try changing the date breakdown from WEEK to the year-agnostic WEEK_NUMBER by right-clicking the date pill and finding it under the first "More..." dropdown.

• 2. Re: Stacked Area Chart - Time Scale Even Ticks
            Avra Goldman

Thank you David,

Making a "uniform axis range for all rows and columns" produces the attached. It looks more correct, but while each year contains the entire date range, I want each year to contain only the date range of that year - so, 2014 range would be Jan 1 to 31. Does that make sense? Basically, I like the look of the years broken up into squares, which is why I want the years in addition to just the 'week ending' (which ends up being technically correct, but visually not what I want). Any ideas?Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.08.12 AM.png

• 3. Re: Stacked Area Chart - Time Scale Even Ticks
              David Li

Hmm... if you want the date axes to be evenly spaced for the three years; want the boxes to hide that white space; and want the years included on the date axis, you might be out of luck doing this in one sheet. Panes generated by different keys in a dimension can't be different widths/heights, unfortunately. And you could cut down some of the white space by displaying some kind of a custom field for the week number, but then you'd lose the actual date axis marks.

However, you could probably stitch this together in a dashboard by combining three different sheets (one for each year) into one horizontal container. Or maybe someone else will have a better idea of how to do this than I do.