4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 7:29 AM by Toby Erkson

Extract for Multiple Workbooks

AJ AJ

can i have Multiple extracts being used for different workbooks.

As per my requirement I need Multiple extracts created for different customers but all use the same workbook, but these workbooks are looked at from sharepoint portal.

• 1. Re: Extract for Multiple Workbooks
          Glen Robinson

Hi AJ

I'm not 100% sure what you are after, but will try to guess at your requirements.

You can publish an Extract to Tableau Server as a Published Data Source. This Extract can have a schedule for it to refresh. The Extract can be used by any number of Workbooks, and Workbooks can connect to multiple data sources

Publish a Data Source

Please let me know if this answers your question, or whether there are further issues

Thanks

Glen

• 2. Re: Extract for Multiple Workbooks
            AJ AJ

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the quick reply. My requirement was i have around 50 Clients and each client data is huge. I can have a single extract with 50 clients data. so is there a way i can use different extracts and point to the same workbook.

When Client-A logs in he should be allowed to use only his extract and when client-B login he should be allowed to see his extract. Do advise me if there is a way if i can leverage something of this sort.

I am a new bee and would appreciate your valuable advise.

• 3. Re: Extract for Multiple Workbooks
              Glen Robinson

Hi AJ,

Here are the options as I see them

1. You can have one Extract that holds all of your clients data, and a dashboard(s) that points to this extract. The Dashboard has user filters which limit what data the end user can see (depending on who they are).

See article on 2 ways that this can be done. User Filters and Row Level Security | Tableau Software

The limitation on this (potentially) is that it may not be performant if the extract is huge (100s millions of rows)

2. You can use multiple extracts, with one for each Client. The same workbook can access all of the data sources, but you will need to create a Dashboard for each client (ie Client A uses Dashboard A which points to Extract A, Client B uses Dashboard B which points to Extract B)

This could be a nightmare to administer, espicially around the security of only allowing Client A to see Dashboard A.

It would be easier to have Client A accesses Dashboard A which is in Project A, and points to Extract A.

The Downside to both of approach 2 is that if you need to make changes to the dashboard you will need to make the change for each of the clients, and republish.

Espicially if you have a workbook for each client, this could be tedious.

However, you could automate the process, by programatically editing the workbook (its just XML), changing the Extract location to the correct Client's Data, saving the workbook, and then publishing it to the Client's Project on the server.

Rinse and Repeat for each client..

Hope this makes sense.

Glen

• 4. Re: Extract for Multiple Workbooks
                Toby Erkson

AJ AJ wrote:

...My requirement was i have around 50 Clients and each client data is huge. I can have a single extract with 50 clients data. so is there a way i can use different extracts and point to the same workbook...

To answer this question directly:  No.

To use your wording:  Extracts do not point to workbooks, workbooks point to extracts.

When a user is in Tableau Server they do not open a data source and begin looking at it, they open a report (a.k.a. workbook) and that looks at the data source.

As for a solution...Glen is on the right track.  I'd be curious to hear other options.