2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 6:44 AM by Kshitij Singh

Question on modifying the Parameter usage in a Calculated Field

Kshitij Singh

Hi all,

The query that I posted yesterday might not be very clear for which I sincerely apologize to everyone who'd have given it a try.

I will try to reframe the query in a simple fashion:

I am designing a reporting tool in Tableau platform which will be similar to an Excel Reporting format. For that, I am in my final stage of validating the data values which is needed on the daily reporting. The extract if from an Excel data set which had various columns for time periods and various other properties thus more number of columns, which was later re-structured and now has more number of rows and less columns for analyzing the data better on Tableau.

I have created a few calculated fields in the form of :

1) Primary  (Uses the two created Parameters for selecting the Time Period )

Formulae used: SUM(IF [Primary Week]=[Week Label] THEN [TYRNT] ELSE 0 END)

where [TYRNT] column gets selected after the condition gets fulfilled

and where 'Week Label' is the Parameter Selector

2) Secondary (Uses the two created Parameters for selecting the Time Period )

Formulae used: SUM(IF [Secondary Week]=[Week Label] THEN [TYRNT] ELSE 0 END)

3) Final Field: Primary Field - Secondary Field (The calculation of data goes like the present data - the old data)

Now I am facing challenges with the generated values as firstly they are not matching, and secondly I am not able to view the values of every month at once since I have made use of the parameters. Is it possible to re-design the Calculated Fields without using the Parameters, which is still flexible enough to provide me the date ranges over which I may need to calculate those created fields? I have attached the file for you all to go through.

Thank you so much in advance!

Singh