3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2017 4:47 AM by John Hobby

Editing column width in Tableau server edit option

Philip George

Hi All,

In Tableau desktop I can alter the width for one column in a tabular view but in Tableau server edit option we cannot change the columns width and some of my item are partially visible in the screen.

Is there any way we can adjust the field display space in Tableau server web edit option without touching the Tableau desktop? I tried in the version 9 and the feature is  not there.

I have two fields to display the granularity of the data.but the columns names are granularity 1 and granularity 2. Can I make this as a proper name  with name of the value selected in the granularity instead of the field generic name

Please use the tabs issue 1 and Issue 2 to check this.

Regards,

Philip

• 1. Re: Editing column width in Tableau server edit option
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello George,

With version 10, I find that you can alter the size of a column by selecting a single row/column and then selecting the "Fit" button from the drop down menu. 

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#web_author_toolbar.htm

I hope this helps. 

Patrick

• 2. Re: Editing column width in Tableau server edit option
            Toby Erkson

And for version 9 it's the same:

Note that this affects ALL cells.  You can't do it to a single cell

No idea what this is about:

George wrote:

I have two fields to display the granularity of the data.but the columns names are granularity 1 and granularity 2. Can I make this as a proper name  with name of the value selected in the granularity instead of the field generic name

Please use the tabs issue 1 and Issue 2 to check this.

Regards,

Philip

If it's a separate question then please post it as a new question.  If it's part of this same sizing question then please provide a more detailed explanation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Editing column width in Tableau server edit option
              John Hobby

Hey ya'll,

I'm getting frustrated by the same issue .   I have data for the 'label' and something for the 'value', but the 'label' column cannot be increased, only the 'value' column is increased by the above screenshots.

This is a screenie of what I'm talking about using the editor on the server (we are not letting our end users use the desktop version, only the web editor).

BEFORE

SELECTED MENU OPTION "BIGGER"

AFTER

The 'closest' I can get is using the 'BIGGER' option in this menu.  However, that will make the column 'wider AND taller', and I have to seemingly click it quite a few time.  Then at some point the text in the column eventually starts to wrap inside the cell.  Again, not the desired formatting.

John