7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 1:15 PM by Kazumi Nozawa

Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map

Kazumi Nozawa

Hello,

I am trying to display multiple members in Tooltip for Hex Tile Map (How To: Hex Tile Maps in Tableau | Sir Viz-a-Lot ).

I understand that asterisks are displayed in Tooltip because there are more than one matching member in the secondary data source.

By referring Asterisks Display in Tooltips | Tableau Software , I could avoid asterisks in Tooltip using bar graph.

Does anyone have any idea to avoid asterisks display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map?

Thank you,

Kazumi

Hi Joe, Yes, I am trying to use a secondary data source which includes multiple institutions. As you mentioned, it may not work because I am pulling multiple values from secondary data source. I attach a packaged workbook example. The first sheet displays asterisk. The second sheet displays only one value. The third sheet displays all values in tooltip using bar graph. Thank you, Kazumi

• 1. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
          Joe Oppelt

If you have multiple values, which one do you want Tableau to display?  You can force only one value by using MAX() or MIN() (which will grab the last or first, either alphabetically or numerically as the case may be.)

• 2. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
            Kazumi Nozawa

Hi Joe Oppelt,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to display multiple institutions' name in tooltip for hexagon tile map.

I created a calculated field called "Filtered Institution Feeder"

IF FIRST()= 0

THEN MIN([Institution])

ELSEIF MIN([Institution]) != LOOKUP( MIN([Institution]), -1 )

THEN PREVIOUS_VALUE("") + ", " + MIN([Institution])

ELSE PREVIOUS_VALUE("")

END

I also created a calculated field called "Filtered Institution for Tooltip"

PREVIOUS_VALUE(Lookup([Filtered Institution Feeder],Last()))

However, the tooltip only displays one institution name.

Do you have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Kazumi

• 3. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
              Joe Oppelt

Kazumi Nozawa wrote:

Hi Joe Oppelt,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to display multiple institutions' name in tooltip for hexagon tile map.

I created a calculated field called "Filtered Institution Feeder"

IF FIRST()= 0

THEN MIN([Institution])

ELSEIF MIN([Institution]) != LOOKUP( MIN([Institution]), -1 )

THEN PREVIOUS_VALUE("") + ", " + MIN([Institution])

ELSE PREVIOUS_VALUE("")

END

I also created a calculated field called "Filtered Institution for Tooltip"

PREVIOUS_VALUE(Lookup([Filtered Institution Feeder],Last()))

However, the tooltip only displays one institution name.

Do you have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Kazumi

The first LOOKUP calc ... Are you trying to do that against the secondary data source?  That's not going to work.  When Tableau brings data from a secondary data source into the cell created for the primary data source, it brings one value.  That's it.  It doesn't have visibility to the individual rows in the secondary source.

If you're not trying to do this against the secondary data, then  I'm really missing the mark in understanding what you are trying to do.  A packaged workbook that simulates what you are trying to do will really help me out here.

• 4. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
                Joe Oppelt

As I expected.

The third sheet does what you want because you have EXAMPLE as the primary data source.

When you read in a blended secondary source into a sheet's table, Tableau can only bring back one value from the secondary source.  It's always an aggregate of some sort:  MAX(), SUM(), ATTR(), etc.  (And yes, ATTR() is treated as an aggregate in this context.)  One value.

Is there any way you can make EXAMPLE your primary source for the hex map?

In the attached I took your bar chart and copied it to Sheet 4.  I used INDEX on filters to display just one block for each state, but it still keeps visibility of all the fruits, and the tooltip still has that string.  Maybe you can use the same technique for the hex map.

• 5. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
                  Kazumi Nozawa

Hi Joe Oppelt,

Thank you for your advice.

I attach updated version of hex map that I followed your instruction to filter by Index (sheet 5).  I could display multiple data in Tooltip.

The color code by numbers of institutions does not work anymore because I filtered it by index. But this definitely solved my original question.

Thank you again!

Kazumi

• 6. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
                    Joe Oppelt

See attached.

Those rows are still in the table, but they're just not getting displayed.  I created a new [Count...] calc that sums up all the COUNTD values by state.  I set the table calc the same way you did [index].  You can still get those numbers!  And your color differences!

• 7. Re: Asterisks Display in Tooltips for Hex Tile Map
                      Kazumi Nozawa

This is great, Joe Oppelt.

Thank you so much for your help!

Kazumi