6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 6:33 PM by Andrew Watson

Action or Filter??

Michael Franz

My dilemma is that I have a "type of business" called New, New Goal, Renewal, Renewal Goal.. New and New Goal should always be selected together and the same with Renewal and Renewal Goal. I have different dashboards right now, but can this be done is one and is an action a way to have New and Renewal. So I do not have to worry about having them not selected together??

I just want a single list, called New and Renewal so when new is selected is actually selects New and New Goal behind the scenes.

• 1. Re: Action or Filter??
          Andrew Watson

You can tackle this in a number of ways. You could group the values: Creating Groups

Also you can group using a calculated field: Creating Groups Using Calculated Fields | Tableau Software

i.e. IF LEFT([Type of business],3) = 'New' THEN 'New' ELSE 'Renewal' END

• 2. Re: Action or Filter??
            jagadeesh T

Hi Michael,

BY grouping you can achieve this , you can group using calculation field.

Please find the attachment.

Thanks,

Jagadeesh T

• 3. Re: Action or Filter??
              Michael Franz

I am probably not explaining it correctly or not understanding this, so I am sorry....So I am displaying the information as a graph. With the "goals overlaying as circles on the New or Renewal"

I'll try again with more detail. So I am displaying the information as a graph. With the "goals overlaying as circles on the bar graph New or Renewal"

I am be off track on this, but I have a measure called Commissions. With a dimension called Type of business (New, New Goal, Renewal, Renewal Goal). I want to display New Goal over New on a Graph (and same with renewal) without have 2 different dashboard and multiple sheets.

So I did this. I created 4 measures using CASE and {type of business] called New, New Goal, Renewal, Renewal Goal.....

Sheet 1

Column = Year

Row = New and New Goal

Sheet 2

Column = Year

Row = Renewal and Renewal Goal

What I would like is 1 sheet where I have "something" that when I select NEW, I get New Goal superimposed on New and when I select RENEWAL, I get Renewal Goal superimposed on Renewal.

I am not sure that IF LEFT([Type of business],3) = 'New' THEN 'New' ELSE 'Renewal' END gets me to the desired action.

• 4. Re: Action or Filter??
                Andrew Watson

The calculated field provided, IF LEFT([Type of business],3) = 'New' THEN 'New' ELSE 'Renewal' END, actually will work if used as a filter. However this wouldn't be displayed on the chart, only used as a filter. You would put your 'Type of Business' dimension on the Colours (or maybe shapes, up to you) shelf and the Commissions measure still on Rows.

• 5. Re: Action or Filter??
                  Michael Franz

Hello,

This is what I am looking for...

I am now getting this.

• 6. Re: Action or Filter??
                    Andrew Watson

Ok, the requirements are becoming clearer still...

You want to have a dual axis chart, which means a measure is required for the Goal and actual. Another 2 calculated fields are required to produce these measures.

Goal: IF RIGHT([Type of Business],4) = 'Goal' THEN 'Goal' END

Actual: IF RIGHT([Type of Business],4) != 'Goal' THEN 'Actual' END

Put these measures on your Row shelf and make it dual axis. Remove the [Type of Business] pill from the Rows.

Note the case sensitivity of the calculated fields, it's important you get that right - i.e. if the field value is 'New goal' and you're searching for 'Goal', it won't find it due to capitalisation.