5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 4:19 AM by Chris Dickson

Tableau tab name

Niko Suomi

Hello,

Is it possible to use in Tableau the tab-name as a variable?

Would be much easier to use the tab-name rather than creating multiple calculated dimensions ..

So, is it possible?

Cheers,

Niko

• 1. Re: Tableau tab name
          Chris Dickson

Hi Niko,

it isn't possible to use the sheetname in a calculated field, if we were to understand more about your use case we might be able to help you with an alternate option?

• 2. Re: Tableau tab name
            Niko Suomi

Hello,

Well I have a following calculated dimension(s) on my dashboard like 7 pieces. And each Area has it's own dashboard page, so these need own calculated dimensions..

attr(IFNULL({include [KPI] : max(IF area='area1' or ISNULL([area]) then [sum_actual] END)}, {include [KPI] : max(if [area]='area_over_all' then [sum_actual] END)}))

We have two tables with UNION-clause, tha's why it has been done by this way.

But if I change the tab and could take the tabname as variable, I could use it on the calculated dimensions on area = tab.name .. But now I really have to do calculated dimensions amount: 7 AREA * 7 KPI and there

Cheers,

Niko

• 3. Re: Tableau tab name
              Chris Dickson

I see, yes that is a slightly painful situation,

do you need to be able to compare area vs area, are each of the area dashboards the same or similar structure?

If you don't need to see them side by side and they are of the same structure have you considered creating 1 dashboard and a parameter to switch between areas, you can then reference the parameter in the calculation and use the parameter to filter any other dashboard elements to that area?

• 4. Re: Tableau tab name
                Niko Suomi

Hi,

Well I have been thinking that kinda solution.. But the client has wanted them to be on a different tabs.

Every Area has it's own KPI list that will be followed, so there would need to be some KPI-mapping that we would show for every parameter selection. Hmm..

That might be a thing to consider.

Cheers,

Niko

• 5. Re: Tableau tab name
                  Chris Dickson

I have been a situation similar to yours and we did in the end have to have a mapping table of KPIs to Team and the Team (parameter) selection then filtered which KPIs were visible, thankfully my client was happy to be told one dashboard with a parameter was easier to maintain than 15 dashboards.

Good Luck!