7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 10:14 AM by David Mannering

Condensed navigation

Shane Conrow

I'm familiar with using shapes or making fake buttons as navigation from one dashboard to the next. But I'm getting to the point where we have too many dashboards and all those buttons are taking up too much real estate on the screen. is there a way to use something like a combo box to navigate from one dashboard to the next so that I can have one small control instead of taking up 1/3 of my screen with navigation? I do not have anyone who is capable of creating or maintaining navigation outside of tableau in a web page available so that would not be an option.

• 1. Re: Condensed navigation
          David Mannering

I assume you are using a hard coded URL action with your buttons.  You should be able to put the URLs in a parameter and have a single button that uses the parameter as the URL.  The user would select the dashboard from the parameter and then click the button.

• 2. Re: Condensed navigation
            Shane Conrow

No, I am using the Filter action not URL. I do not have different URLs to send people to, everything is in one workbook.

• 3. Re: Condensed navigation
              David Mannering

Each dashboard in the workbook has a different URL (get the URL link from the Share icon when you are on the dashboard), so you could still use the parameter method.  If there is a way to do what you want using a filter action, I'm not familiar with it.

• 4. Re: Condensed navigation
                Shane Conrow

Can you explain how I would "have a single button that uses the parameter as the URL"? I do not understand what you are recommending I do.

• 5. Re: Condensed navigation
                  David Mannering

Sorry, I was being somewhat terse.  I've attached a very simple workbook that hopefully shows what I meant.  It has two dashboards and on each is a single button that has a URL action based on the parameter called Dashboards.  That parameter would contain the hard coded URLs of your dashboards (I can't use dashboard URLs in the demo, so I've just used Tableau.com and Online.Tableau.com.).  The user would select the appropriate dashboard from the parameter and then press the button (although in my test, for some reason, I have to click the button twice).  The URL dashboard action will send the user to the URL that was selected.  This is not a perfect solution, but it address the issue of screen space you mentioned.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Condensed navigation
                    Shane Conrow

Ahh, thank you. I hadn't used parameters or the URL action before so I wasn't sure how to set the action up properly after creating a parameter. And yea, the button retains the selected state so you have to deselect it before selecting it again. I saw a workaround for that once but it was over my head.

Now for the sixty four thousand dollar question. So I can get this to be functional now. However the URLs are horrendeous. http://server-name/views/workbook_0/Dashboard?:embed=y&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no isnt the greatest selection option. So I entered a friendlier 'display as' value in the parameter such as Benefits or Marketing for a few URLs. but when I perform the action, it is trying to navigate to that name instead of the value and then my browser tells me it cant find http:\\benefits. Is there a way to force the URL action to use the Value of the parameter?

• 7. Re: Condensed navigation
                      David Mannering

I don't think so, but you might try taking everything that doesn't vary out of the parameter and hard coding it in the URL action like this:

http://server-name/views/workbook_0<Dashboards>?:embed=y&:showShareOptions=true&:display_count=no

Then the <Dashboards> parameter will just have the short variable part in its text.