thank you for your help!
I was looking for an answer without creating an extra calculated field for the translation.
I can change the woorkbooks locale to German and it changes the date formats etc. but it is is not affecting the calculations detecting of month names. This means March/März is still null.
Looks like a bug to me...Do you think this behavior is legit?
I worked out another solution by using numbers instead of the month names. So I still need the CASE statement but I don't need to type the month names anymore but instead the relative month number.
If anybody comes across this and doesn't want to type that much:
CASE [Start Date]
ELSE [Start Date]
I'm not asking you to create any extra calculated fields. If you see the calc field which I've mentioned in the screen shot then you can easily get to know that I've reverse the logic that's It. In your case statement It was ENG to German and copied calc field German to ENG. You can try similar approach.
yes, I've understood this, but I think that Tableau should be able to convert the date without calculated field from GER to ENG or ENG to GER (or what ever).
The workbook I attached is also using the workaround but as it is obviously only a locale issue, I thought that I have missed some settings.
I found the settings and it is still showing null values.
E.g. My calculated field (which is mandatory for my purpose) looks like this:
// (Month = April) + Day + Year NOTE: April (GER) = April (ENG)
DATE([Start Date] + "/" + "01" + "/" + "2016") = 01.04.2016
// (Month = May) + Day + Year NOTE: Mai (GER) != May (ENG)
DATE([Start Date] + "/" + "01" + "/" + "2016") = Null
If I change locale to GER or to ENG it's still the same result, only date format is changed.
Again, I was looking for a solution without a second calc. field that translates GER to ENG or reverse