1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 8:21 AM by Toby Erkson

User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online

deepa p

Hello all,

Can some one please let me know what permissions we have to assign on Tableau Online?

1. Currently the user got site role as Interactor. and enabled the web authoring at workbook level so that user can create the new viz
      2. User to be able to edit a view and they can save their changes to workbook as a new workbook on tableau online with out overriding the original published workbook.
      3. Can end user have the ability to create dashboards and story boards on tableau online.
      4. Can end user have the ability to edit the shapes to custom shapes on tableau online.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
          Toby Erkson

1.  In order for the user to perform #2 they must have the role of Publisher.  This process is explained in the administration manual in the section Grant Web Edit, Save, and Download Permissions.

2.  Assuming the user is a Publisher:  Enable Web Authoring; Allow for Web Edit; Allow for Download/Save As; Deny or blank (be sure to check effective permissions regarding which to use) for Save (to keep from over-writing an existing workbook).

3.  No.

4.  No.

An Interactor can use Web Edit if their permission is set to Allow.

Tableau Online is Tableau Server with the difference being Tableau Online is hosted externally.

• 2. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
            deepa p

Hello Toby,

Thank you for the  quick response. I just wanted to get this right for my understanding.

In order to allow the user to save the workbook need to follow these steps.

1. set the site role as publisher (Instead of Interactor)
            2. set web edit (saves as /download) should be enabled.
            3. save(deny) so that the users wont be able to override the original published workbook.

If the site role is Publisher

can a user publish data source on tableau online.?

if, yes how can we set permissions so that users wont be able to publish any data on Tableau Online.

Thanks,

Deepa.

• 3. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
              Toby Erkson

deepa p wrote:

Hello Toby,

Thank you for the  quick response. I just wanted to get this right for my understanding.

In order to allow the user to save the workbook need to follow these steps.

1. set the site role as publisher (Instead of Interactor).  Correct
              2. set web edit (saves as /download) should be enabled.  Correct
              3. save(deny) so that the users wont be able to override the original published workbook.  Correct

deepa p wrote:

If the site role is Publisher

can a user publish data source on tableau online.?  Correct

if, yes how can we set permissions so that users wont be able to publish any data on Tableau Online.

Make sure the user does not have Allow for Save in the Project permissions:

In my testing, setting Data Sources to Denied didn't matter if they had Save permission in the Project rules   This tells me that Project rules take precedence over Data Sources rules.

Testing note:

However, it appears that this makes the effective permissions incorrect:

According to the above effective permission, this user should not be able to save/publish a data source to the Project but I was able to from Desktop:

So I don't know if this is a bug or I missed something.

Update

I set all permissions to Deny but left Project permissions set to Publisher.  Like all prior tests I signed out of the server in Desktop and then signed back in to make sure permissions were properly assigned (just in case).  I then published the workbook to the Project even though, according to the effective permissions, I should not have been able to!

The permission rules in the Project for my test user (...VTService):

Successful publish of workbook from Desktop:

The permissions of workbook after publishing to the Server:

Notice how the effective permissions display correctly in this view!

Odd.

The test user I was using stats (they are a Publisher, not an Admin of any type):

• 4. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                deepa p

Thanks a lot Toby. It was really helpful.

Just one final question.If end user has a site role Publisher then he can publish,edit and modify the data. Is there any other way, can set the permissions with out granting publish data source?.

• 5. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                  Toby Erkson

Not that I'm aware of as I showed above.  Essentially, if they are allowed Save permission in the Project then they can save anything no matter what the remaining permissions are in Workbooks and Data Sources...something I'm not sure I agree with

Jeff Strauss, Dan Cory, Mark Wu, John Kuo, what do you think about this?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                    deepa p

Thanks a lot Toby. I really appreciate your time .

In case if you come up with any other work around please let me know.    

• 7. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                      Mark Wu

I'd like to see Tableau to have separate workbook publisher role vs data source publisher role.  But Tableau does not have it yet. Not sure if there is IDEA for this. I can see separating publisher roles gets more and more important for enterprise users. One workaround is to create two projects: Datasources and Content. Your objective is to make sure that "workbook publishers" can connect to the published data source (Single Source of Truth) but can't edit it. And only selective people (maybe IT) can edit the published data source. Pls see the attached diagram created Kiyoshi Jones for this.

Let's say Joe can publish data sources but you want Bob to publish workbooks only. In other words, Bob can use Joe's published data source but can't edit it.

1. Create project call Datasource  and assign Joe as project leader who can publish data sources. Assign Bob connector permissions to the published data sources. Lock the permission for Datasource project.

2. Bob also has site role as publisher but Bob can't publish workbook in to Datasource project although he can publish workbooks to Content project. Bob can't change anything in Datasource project.

You should be good now. Test it out.

3. If you want to control one step further. Let's see you want Joe controls the Datasource, Bob controls all workbooks in Content project(but can't change Datasource), Jim has publish site role but you do not want Jim to publish any workbooks to Content w/o Bob's review. You can create 3rd project call Stage. Jim has same permission as Bob for Datasources but Jim can't publish anything to Content although Jim can publish workbooks to Stage. Once Jim is done w workbook in Stage, ask Bob who can move Jim's workbook to Contents project - Bob needs project leader role for Contents and Stage in order to move the contents.

Test it out as permission can get very messy easily.

Thx
                      Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                        deepa p

Hello Mark ,

Thanks for the info. its very helpful.

Can you please  let me know how i can set the permissions for User to the below scenario.

we have Project A.

User currently have site role as Interactor and web authoring is enabled .for Project A.

Published a  data source  and a workbook to  project A.

Now user wants to create new visualizations and save this as a new workbook under project A.

Do we need to change the user's site role from Interactor to Publisher.

On more note is that we have multiple projects(Example: Project A, Project B,Project C) .

If we change user's  site role from interactor  to publisher can this user  view the published data sources and workbooks for  other projects.

if the site role is publisher user can change and view permission levels of other users.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D.

• 9. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                          Mark Wu

To edit an existing workbook, a user must have a site role of Interactor or Publisher. However users with a site role of Interactor are not allowed to save or save as or download workbooks. Interactors with Web Editing permission to a workbook can edit the workbook, take a screenshot but can't save or save as the workbook. Details @ Grant Web Edit, Save, and Download Permissions

To save changes to a workbook or save a workbook as a new workbook on Tableau Server, a user must have a site role of Publisher. The Save and Download/Save As capabilities must be set to Allowed in the workbook permissions.

If we change user's  site role from interactor  to publisher, it does not mean that the publisher gets to see all other contents (published data sources and workbooks) in other projects. The publisher Joe has permission to web edit, save as, publish workbooks in project A. You can set permission to deny publisher Joe's permission in project B, or C or D. Normally people go by user groups. Joe belongs to group A which has permissions in Project A but no permission in Project B, or C or D. etc.

• 10. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                            deepa p

Thanks Mark.

now i clearly understand the permissions. I am really sorry that i am asking more questions as we go on this discussion.

I have one more qq. In Tableau Online 9.3 version i can see two different Publisher Role. One at User Site role and other one at Project Level.

Whats the difference between user site role (Publisher) and Project (Publisher). if i just make the user permission from Viewer to Publisher at Project level is that good enough or i have to change the User permission at site role as Publisher.So that the User to be able to edit to view and they can save their changes to workbook as a new workbook.

• 11. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                              Mark Wu

Sorry Deepa, It took me a while to answer your qq. Tableau permissions are tricky. I had to test it out before this answer. I do not have 9.3 env so I tested it in Beta 10. The answer is that an user needs to have site role as Publisher for this user to be able to web edit/save as or publish workbooks. If an user has site role as Interactor and has publisher role at project level, this user still can't publish or save web editing.  You can think of site publish role as for someone to be able to publish anything to the server. Then project publish role defines if you allow this user to publish anything to your project or projects.
                              Hope this helps.

Thx

• 12. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                                Toby Erkson

Think of the Site role as what the registered user ultimately can or can not do.  Can they publish or not?  Yes, then Publisher.  No, then Interactor or Viewer.

Think of the Project/Workbook/View role more like a title or job description, meaning what is the User/Group allowed to do if they have the appropriate Site role.

• 13. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                                  Mark Wu

Tony, Thanks for the nice way to explain it. If Tableau can grey out project level publish role option for those who do not have site publisher role, it will reduce a lot of confusions I guess. I w be happy to creat an idea if people think that this w be a good feature ask.

• 14. Re: User Permissions and editing the views on Tableau Online
                                    deepa p

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the reply. Great this worked for my scenario. and apologies for late reply. I gave the user permission as publisher for both  site  and project  as well. 

1 2 Previous Next