3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 7:26 AM by Fabian Zimmer

Grouping of users based on spending range

Vipin Vangara

Can anyone please tell me how i can assign groups to the users based on their spending bracket. so i can have all users spending between 0-200 grouped under one block. Is that possible?

• 1. Re: Grouping of users based on spending range
          Fabian Zimmer

Hi Vipin

Have you tried creating a calculated field

{ fixed [Id]:

if sum([Spend]) >= 0 and sum([Spend]) <= 200 then "0 - 200"

else "200+"

end

}

then using this calculated field instead of the id field in your view? What this does is to go through the sum of spending for each individual id, determining whether the spending falls into the first or second bracket. This flag can now be used to group the data accordingly. I have attached a sample workbook, so you can take a closer look at the mechanic.

Best,

Fabian

InterWorks Europe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Grouping of users based on spending range
            Vipin Vangara

Thanks for the reply Fabian, While that does help to an extent, I have spend groups that extend till about 30. Also the final visualization that i have in mind is basically being able to show a pie chart w.r.t month that shows the distribution of the users based on spend group. That way i can see how the users have evolved from one month to the next and which spend group the users are migrating to.

• 3. Re: Grouping of users based on spending range
              Fabian Zimmer

Hey Vipin,

in one way or another you need to tell Tableau about these bracket thresholds, and a calculated field is oftentimes the most versatile way to do this. Plus a bar chart is normally better for those things than a pie chart, especially when (in the attached example) one of the brackets is so small that the slice of the pie would be too small to see.

Please refer to the attached example to see a possible solution to your problem. I am currently using the sum of spend, but you can always substitute it with a distinct count of user ids to see the development of users over time in those brackets.

Best,

Fabian

InterWorks Europe

1 of 1 people found this helpful