7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2016 6:29 AM by sultan shahrukh

Joining two separate excel files in tableau

sultan shahrukh

Dear Tableau experst,

I am new to tableau, trying to learn how it works and stuff and have some questions. In the sample that I have attached are two files. Both files have the similar Data labels and filter (site,type) but the count is different in both sets. My aim is to connect these two files to tableau and represent both sets side by side to each other on a single sheet in Tableau and than compare the difference in the count of both sets w.r.t identifiers.

I want to have something similar to this and than show the difference between 2014-2015 for each identifier.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

• 1. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
          kumar.c

Hi Sultan,

Please find the attached workbook and I have created the report based on the excels provided and also from Sheet1 from two excel files.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
            sultan shahrukh

Hello Kumar,

Thank you for your feedback and analysis. I have some more questions. I want to attach two more excel files to this . Is that possible? And could you kindly show me how I may find the % difference between 2014 and 2015 for each identifier and represent it on the same sheet.

• 3. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
              Hrvoje Gabelica

Hey man,

so upload first Excel file and make extract from it and then append second excel file. But here's secret. You have to add one column in each of those file and column should contain only one value: name of Excel file. That should be separator in Tableau

HrvojeSheet 1.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
                Anoop Odedra

Hi Sultan,

If the files were saved as csv then you can create a union in Tableau, as long as they are saved in the same directory.

Doing it this way would save you time and effort on adding the column as Tableau will automatically generate that column in the case of a union.

Good luck!

• 5. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
                  sultan shahrukh

Hello guys!

Thank you for your feedback and analysis. I have some more questions as asked before. I want to attach two more excel files to this . Is that possible? And could you kindly show me how I may find the % difference between 2014 and 2015 for each identifier and represent it on the same sheet.

• 6. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
                    Anoop Odedra

Hi Sultan,

With the csv option, you can add more and more files as they come in, if they are monthly files, each month you can add the extra file to the union. If you save all the files in one location, and the new files are added with a similar naming convention you can also use the wildcard union to add them all in together easily.

To do the year on year comparison you need to create a date calculated field. In the attached case I have made a date field which is 1st of Jan 2015 for Sample 1 file and 1st Jan 2016 for Sample 2 file. You can then use a quick table calculation to see year over year growth. Is that what you are looking for?

Once the extra files are added to the union (save all csv files in the same directory then connect to that data source) it should still work in the same way.

Hope that helps!

Anoop

• 7. Re: Joining two separate excel files in tableau
                      sultan shahrukh

Hello Anoop,

Yes it was indeed helpful. However , I already have done the difference part like you did but what I meant was representing the difference on the same sheet as form of a line showing decrease ( not in form of dual axis or so, just plain line with % from top of one bar to another ).

I would like to go further with my representation and was trying to do the same stuff but this time instead of only a single year in each file , I have counts for three different years. Now I am trying to filter year 2002 from both sets and trying to compare them like before side by side but so far I have been unsuccessful.

Could you kindly help me out on this?