4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 11:07 PM by Pouya Ghadimi

I s there any method to connect a single workbook to multiple extracts ?

Pouya Ghadimi

Hi Tableau community,

I am looking for any potential solution to feed in data to a single workbook from 2 extract files which they have exactly the same format but for different time intervals.

This should be like union of the extracts.

Any idea is more than welcomed.

Cheers,

Pouya

• 1. Re: I s there any method to connect a single workbook to multiple extracts ?
          Mahfooj Khan

Which version of tableau are you using? Union is possible in tableau 9.3. You can go through the link for more details.

Combine Your Data with Union in Tableau 9.3 | Tableau Software

Mahfooj

• 2. Re: I s there any method to connect a single workbook to multiple extracts ?
            Pouya Ghadimi

Hi Mahfooj,

Great link and information, however my data source is mainly in SQL and it seems this new feature doesn't support it, am I right ?

• 3. Re: I s there any method to connect a single workbook to multiple extracts ?
              Mahfooj Khan

No issues you can do something like this.

Option1: As you said your data structure of both the tables are same. Then create a view using union of your system tables at database level and connect to tableau and create an extract of that then build your viz. Schedule it as per your requirement to refresh the data source. e.g: Creating a view at database level

CREATE VIEW view_name AS

SELECT column_name(s) FROM table_name1

UNION (ALL)

SELECT column_name(s) FROM table_name2

UNION (ALL)

SELECT column_name(s) FROM table_name3

Option2: If you've already build your viz using the extracted data. Then few modification required at database level. Lets say your extracted source is table1. Now append the records of table2 in your table1 at database level. Before appending records in your table1 you can add a new source identifier in your table1 to identify the records from table1 and table2. Then full refresh the data using scheduler. Now you can get all the records from both the sources after refresh.

e.g; table1 which is already extracted.

In database lets say you've 4 columns (a,b,c,d) in table1 and table2 also.

Add a new column in table1 called "datasource". In source column update values with "source1". After adding column table will look like this.

e.g; appending records from table2 in table1.

INSERT INTO table1

SELECT a,b,c,d,'source2' datasource from table2;

In this way also you can get the all records in one source.

I hope this may help. Let me know If you've any query.

Mahfooj

• 4. Re: I s there any method to connect a single workbook to multiple extracts ?
                Pouya Ghadimi

Hi Mahfooj,

Thanks for the replies you are on spot.

However, my problem is as follow:

I have extract table lets call it Table1, this contains historical data and is huge to be fully refreshed.

I also have Table2 which gets refreshed data incrementally, everyday.

At the end of the week I need to do a full refresh on Table2 as the data which was appended during week might have not been complete till end of the week.

At the end of week I also need to incremental refresh Table1 to add correct historical data and delete content of Table2 create a new Table2 for the new week.

Hope this explains my situation as we deal with data synchronization and I couldn't find a way to delete rows from extract (Table1) so I can just keep one table.

Any idea to deal with this ? or any solutions ?