3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 4:22 PM by Shaun Currier

Line plot of top N dimension values + "other"

Shaun Currier

Hello, I have some data similar to this:

Part Name   |     Somefield1     |     Somefield2     |     Date

Part Name A  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name B  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name B  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name C  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name C  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name D  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

Part Name E  |     blah               |     blah                 |     somedate

I'd like to make a line plot with the following characteristics.

Columns: dates from the "Date" column

Rows: count of rows

Color: part names from the "Part Name" column

Mark type: line

This should give me one colored line per part name.  Trouble is, there are many distinct part names and I only want to show the top 5 or so to keep it from being confusing.  The remaining part names (call them the "Bottom M") I want to all be lumped together into a grey colored "other" line whose value is the count of rows from the non-Top N part names.

How can this be done in Tableau?