5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 2:33 AM by Ashish Chaudhari

Data Source for Packaged Workbook

Govind Ramchetty

Hi Friends,

I downloaded some sample workbooks from tableau site.Same workbook i opened in my tableau desktop tool.I can able to view data.When i click my datasource tab,i cant able to open.

Now my question is 1. How can i edit that datasource. 2.Without source data how it possible to display report data.

Thanks

Govind R

• 1. Re: Data Source for Packaged Workbook
          Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Govind,

When you create a packaged workbook that time data file becomes part of workbook. In case of excel it gets saved in the temp folder of local drive. That's the reason you are able to show the report even if data file isn't there.

To edit the datasource you need to find the data file, make changes to it and go to edit datasource option and reconnect the same file else export all the data from the view data option and create a file in case if you have lost it and make changes to it and reconnect.

-Ashish

• 2. Re: Data Source for Packaged Workbook
            Govind Ramchetty

I can able to see data (Extract data from excel data).When i downloaded worksheet it automatically comes datasource extract also.

Default path: C:\Users\govind\AppData\Local\Temp\TableauTemp\4206407506\Data\Oil_and_Gas_3.twb Files\rig count

Now i copied "rig count" extract from ablove path into C:\user\DS folder.Can you pls let me know how can i change this datasource path.

Thanks

Govind R

• 3. Re: Data Source for Packaged Workbook
              Ashish Chaudhari

right click on the datasource which you want to update. select edit data source option.

Below window will appear and click on highlighted area.

This will prompt you the path for data source. give the updated path. and pull the table to the area to the right. See the change have reflected.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish

• 4. Re: Data Source for Packaged Workbook
                Govind Ramchetty

I downloaded worksheet.It default extract data source also come with worksheet.Now my question is how can i change path for my extracted DS file path.When i click datasource tab.When i click datasource tab it will ask source file location.

• 5. Re: Data Source for Packaged Workbook
                  Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Govind,

create a new sheet. Double click on Number of record. Then right click on the same and select view data option.

Click on Export All option. Get the data in the excel and replace it as a new data source. Don't forget to take the backup of the existing workbook.

-

Ashish Chaudhari