4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 5:32 AM by laiju cbabu

how to change the admin account password

laiju cbabu

Hi Team ,

We are in a process for automating the installation  and configuration of  Tableau 9.2 . Tableau Installation is successful . But at the configuration part we are facing below issue

We are not able to set the password for the service account which is serving as the admin of Tableau service  . Is there any way to set the service account password .  We are using AD authentication method .

Regards

Laiju

• 1. Re: how to change the admin account password
          Paul Moran

Hi Laiju,

The Run As user password is something that will have to be reset outside of the Tableau Server software. Please refer to the following article or contact your IT team to reset the Run As user password:

Reset a User Password

Paul

• 2. Re: how to change the admin account password
            laiju cbabu

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply .

Seems that i had confused you . My requirement is I had a service account  :- domain\test1 , and had a password ,say "Password1" . Checked and confirmed that these credentials are running fine .

Now my requirement is to set the user domaim\test1 as the "Run As user" in  Tableau and need to  give its password using the script .. Command which i am using mentioned below

Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Windows\System32\sc.exe" -ArgumentList "config `"tabsvc`" obj=`"$Account`" password=`"$Password`"" -Wait -NoNewWindow

Start-Process -FilePath $TabadminFile.FullName -ArgumentList "set service.runas.username `"$Account`"" -Wait -NoNewWindow

But using these command  i am able to set the password of user in "services.msc" But whil try to start Tableau its giving the error "Log on Failure"

What i am looking is the possibility of setting the password for that user using tabadmin somewhat similar to option "set service.runas.username"

Regards

Laiju

• 3. Re: how to change the admin account password
              Paul Moran

Hi Laiju,

I'm not sure why it is necessary to use command line for this task. What happens when you try to change the run as user using the config screen in the following link?

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#runas.htm

Paul

• 4. Re: how to change the admin account password
                laiju cbabu

Hi Paul ,

Thanks for the reply and document ,

Reason for checking a command for updating the password for "Run As User" is :=

We are in the plan for automating the installation  of Tableau and starting the service  along with the OS build . So that when a user asking for a Tableau Server , Tableau  will also get installed and started along with the OS installation .

Now we are able to install  Tableau , but the starting process is failing giving log on failure error in tabadmin.log .

In this scenario we are checking for a possibility  of a command for updating the "Run As User" password .

Regards

Laiju