9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 5:42 AM by Brad Sheridan

Menu Actions

Swetha L

Hi,

I have created few worksheets and i have used filter actions and the selection mode(Run action on:) is Menu.

This works fine in the desktop, but when i publish this to server actions wont work.

Can any one please help me how to solve this.

I have also attached the images with menu actions how it works in desktop and server.

Thanks in Advance,

Swetha

• 1. Re: Menu Actions
          Mahfooj Khan

What i have figured and what worked for me is ::

One got to put "Something to Show" (Calculated Field,Parameter,etc.) on the tooltip and not just the "Menu Action" when you upload it on the Server .

If you just upload the dashboard having a worksheet  with no Tooltip and only the "Menu Action/Actions" ,You wont see the "Menu Action" box appearing. (As a result ,you will guess it is not working). May be a BUG ...but this is how Tableau Server is..

And one more thing while publishing the reports dont forget to check 'show sheets as tabs', the dashboard action worked.

Hope that helps

Mahfooj

• 2. Re: Menu Actions
            Swetha L

Hi Mahfooj,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried including parameter in the tool tip and tried all the steps mentioned.

But still its not working.

Regards,

Swetha

• 3. Re: Menu Actions
              Mahfooj Khan

Can you share a sample workbook If possible? I'll publish it in my server and will check. Ideally it shouldn't be happened. Because I've a dashboard with menu actions and it working fine in both desktop and server.

• 4. Re: Menu Actions
                Swetha L

Hi Mahfooj,

I have attached the sample workbook.

Regards,

Swetha

• 5. Re: Menu Actions
                  Swetha L

Hi Mahfooj,

I have attached the sample workbook.

Regards,

Swetha

• 6. Re: Menu Actions
                    Mahfooj Khan

Hi Swetha,

Sorry for late reply. I saw your workbook and published it in my server. Actions are working perfect after publishing. See the screen shot. When you click on Key Indicator keep the mouse as it is and wait for a moment the pop up will come with menu. Try once. Let me know If you've any question.

Mahfooj

• 7. Re: Menu Actions
                      Swetha L

Hi Mahfooj,

I tried the same, but am not getting the menu.

Do we need to enable some options?

One more question:

From the above image,

Inside the menu pop up, there is title shown "Key Indicator" which is highlighted in yellow.

How to remove that.

Thanks,

Swetha

• 8. Re: Menu Actions
                        Mahfooj Khan

I don't think you need to enable something. Its very simple dashboard action which you've added. I don't know why you're not getting the pop up after publishing. For "Key Indicator". I guess its by default coming in tool-tip. You can not remove it.

• 9. Re: Menu Actions
                          Brad Sheridan

Here is what worked for me.  In Tableau Desktop, from the main dashboard (with all the various worksheets in it), find the one that should have the menu action and navigate to that underlying sheet.  Open the tooltips and change the dropdown from "Responsive-Show Tooltips Immediately (default)" and change it to "On Hover-Show tooltips on hover"

Re-publish the workbook to Tableau Server.  Now when you hover over that chart on the main dashboard, you'll see the tooltips.  However, when you click on the chart, you'll now see the menu options.

thanks

Brad