6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 3:31 AM by Nutan Patel

My SQl with SSL connection

Nutan Patel

Hello Experts,

Bassem Khalil Ivan Young

I was trying to connect my SQL Db with SSL encryption from tableau. Somehow I succeeded to make the connection but I noticed date fields & geometric fields  are not working.

Can anyone suggest what I am lacking ?

@Thanks

Nutan Patel

• 1. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
          Bassem Khalil

Hello Nutan!

Can you please elaborate more on "not working"? Would you be able to provide a screenshot?

In the meantime try to create an extract and see if that solves the issue...

• 2. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
            Nutan Patel

Hi Bassem Khalil,

Thanks for your quick response as usual.

I apologies as I can not share screenshot here as its very sensitive information and client has restricted us to take the screenshot.

But what I mean by "not working" is date fields are converted to string automatically and live connection not works with date & geo fields.

The approach you suggested (working with extract) is absolutely fine and I already implemented it. But we want everything should be worked with live connection.

Hope it helps.!!!

Thanks

Nutan Patel

• 3. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
              Bassem Khalil

Hello Nutan,

I tired recreating your issue on my machine with no success.

If you look at my screenshots below, Tableau handled the date field correctly, It might be that at your database level, the date field's datatype is set as Varchar and that is why Tableau is inferring it as such.

If you don't want to change the datatype or can't do so at the database level, have you tried changing the field's datatype in Tableau? (Right click on the date field> Change Data type> Date & Time)

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png

• 4. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
                Nutan Patel

I am trying to connect My SQL Db through ODBC connection as we require connection with SSL certificate.

Below is the exact error I am getting with tableau & ODBC.

Tableau identified the following warnings for the ODBC data source named 'savaari_analytics (savaari_innodb)':

This aggregation is unsupported: Attribute

This function is unsupported: DATETIME with parameter types 'integer'

This is unsupported: SELECT ... INTO

This is unsupported: Temporary tables

Thanks

Nutan Patel

• 5. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
                  Bassem Khalil

Hello Nutan!

Sorry for the late reply but I found exactly what you are looking for.

At first I thought the error was with an MS SQL db, I misread 'my SQL db' because the 'm' was lower case. My bad!

Please find at the KB link below all the steps you need to achieve what you require!

Preparing Tableau to Connect to MySQL Using SSL | Tableau Software

Hope this helps!

B

• 6. Re: My SQl with SSL connection
                    Nutan Patel

Thanks Bassem Khalil.!!

We came across this article and did the successful connection using this approach.

But the issue is when we connect My Sql database using this methods we get warnings as below.

"Tableau identified the following warnings for the ODBC data source named 'savaari_analytics (savaari_innodb)':

This aggregation is unsupported: Attribute

This function is unsupported: DATETIME with parameter types 'integer'

This is unsupported: SELECT ... INTO

This is unsupported: Temporary tables"

We ignored the warnings and move on but when we drag date fields on row shelf and tried to see data year, month or week wise, tableau was giving us an error as tableau was generating back end query with date functions which seems are not supported by ODBC drivers. See above warnings.

Everything is  working fine with Extract copy but we want it with live connection.

Thanks

Nutan Patel