3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 10:36 AM by Dmitry Chirkov

Tableau to cassandra connectivity error

Prateek Sehgal

Hi,

I am trying to connect Tableau to Cassandra using Datastax cassandra ODBC driver (64 bit). I have already set up a system DSN for Datastax cassandra ODBC.

Next thing I do is to create a new connection in Tableau desktop 9.3 and select Other databases (ODBC). Here I select the DSN for Datastax Cassandra and provide login credentials and hit ok. At this point, Tableau takes me to next screen where I have to select a database.

As soon as I select default database, 'Cassandra' (There is only one choice), it gives me an error.

Error details:

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection in use

Unable to connect using the DSN named "DataStax Cassandra ODBC DSN64". Check that the DSN exists and is a valid connection.

DataStax Cassandra ODBC DSN64 is the system DSN.

I have checked and the credentials I have provided have the required access.

• 1. Re: Tableau to cassandra connectivity error
          Dmitry Chirkov

Which Tableau version are you using?

Did you use 64 bit odbcad32.exe to create DSN?

To troubleshoot this further I'd have to see logs (log.txt and tabprotosrv.txt) so you might be better of submitting a support request. Or attach logs here - I'll take a look.

When you say you select default database, is it in this place as I marked on screenshot?

If yes, then something might be off with database configuration. Are you able to connect and query it with any other tools?

Do you enter anything in the fields in this dialog? (you shouldn't)

2016-06-20_9-49-00.png

• 2. Re: Tableau to cassandra connectivity error
            Prateek Sehgal

Hi Dmitry, thanks for helping.

Which Tableau version are you using?

I am using Tableau 9.3.

Did you use 64 bit odbcad32.exe to create DSN?

Yes, I used 64bit.

Where to find logs (log.txt and tabprotosrv.txt)?

When you say you select default database, is it in this place as I marked on screenshot?

Yes exactly.

If yes, then something might be off with database configuration. Are you able to connect and query it with any other tools?

I was able to establish a connection with the database in Datastax Devcenter and was able to read the data as well (using select *).

Do you enter anything in the fields in this dialog?

I don't but as soon as I click connect button above, it gets filled up by itself and then I click ok below.

• 3. Re: Tableau to cassandra connectivity error
              Dmitry Chirkov

I can't do much without logs.

Our local instance has no authentication so I can't verify that flow.

Can you share a screenshot of DSN configuration? (feel free to type in some gibberish where you have sensitive info or black it out)

DNS was pre-configured after installing driver - did you change anything besides Host and Authentication?