3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 9:16 AM by Yuriy Fal

Hiding specific columns within a pane

brian holton

I'm trying to hide or suppress specific columns within a pane that don't apply to that pane. The data is challenging because there are unique calculations for each measure and we also need reference lines to illustrate goal lines based on blended data. For example, in the screenshot below, I'd like to hide the columns highlighted in yellow because those measure names don't apply to the year that the pane represents (don't need to see 2017 - 2018 in the 2016 pane). When I try to do some normal filters, it ends up hiding entire panes instead of the empty cells within a pane. Any magic tricks I can try?

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Hiding specific columns within a pane
          Yuriy Fal

Hi brian,

What if you're left just two calculated Measures -- [Current] and [Outlook] -- instead of six?

Your [Pivot field names] Dimension effectively partitions your Sales by Year,

so I suspect there would be no more need in distinct yearly Current & Outlook calculations.

With just two Measure Names on a view, there would be no empty Marks to hide.

Or I'm missing something?

Yours,

Yuri

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hiding specific columns within a pane
            brian holton

Hi Yuri, yes - this is essentially what I ended up doing. I still used each of the 6 individual calculated field for the measures because they have specific business rules depending on year. However, they can be "collapsed" into the 2 measures you suggested ([Current] and [Outlook]) simply by adding the respective values together. In other words, [Current] = [2016 Current] + [2017 Current] + [2018 Current] and then allow the [Pivot field name] to partition by year. The only other trick was to ensure that the individual calculated fields only aggregated data for that specific year ([2016 Current] only summarized 2016 data and did not care about 2017 or 2018).  I suppose this could have been handled by just 2 complex calculated fields, but I opted to decompose it into several more simple calculated fields. I also ended up making it more generic for the Years values (Y1, Y2, Y3, etc) so that it does not contain hardcoded year logic and will maintain accuracy as time passes.

Here's a screenshot of the finished product:

Capture1.PNG

• 3. Re: Hiding specific columns within a pane
              Yuriy Fal

Hi brian,

Glad it worked for you.

Yours,

Yuri