14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2016 4:45 AM by Amit Kumar

Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard

Amit Kumar

Hi,

Now the scenario is like this.

1. I require after column 13, Blank column should to remove from the worksheet.

2. Required a slider where If I want to see 2 or 3 or etc....I can see that no. of rows in worksheet. I created one parameter - ItemsPerPage and one calculated field - PageNumber, But for string it is not working. So How I can do it?

3. Can we create a webpage on Tableau server without using any Tableau Dashboard ?

4. Can we fetch the data from databases and represent by an URL through Tableau Server?

Regards,

Amit K

• 1. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
          Amit Kumar

Hi,

Scenario is like this.

1. I require after column 13, Blank column should to remove from the worksheet.

2. Required a slider where If I want to see 2 or 3 or etc....I can see that no. of rows in worksheet. I created one parameter - ItemsPerPage and one calculated field - PageNumber, But for string it is not working. So How I can do it?

3. Can we create a webpage on Tableau server without using any Tableau Dashboard ?

4. Can we fetch the data from databases and represent by an URL through Tableau Server?

Regards,

Amit K

• 2. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
            Simon Runc

hi Amit,

Just spotted you've asked this question, again, in this new thread...I'm transferring my answer from the other post (it's better to have this new post, as it's quite a different question...so makes it easier for others with similar problems to find it)....I'll also delete my reply (and your question) from the other post

1. As before we use the text mark type, drag the column 13 onto the title tile for this, and add a 'column 13' header

2. I've done this using index(). This is a table calculation, and so we can 'choose' how it calculates. I've set it to compute Table Down, so it gives a number for each row. I then add this (as a green pill) to the filter, show that filter, and that will filter to N rows

3. Not sure exactly what you mean here...Tableau server is where you host your visualisations (it can 'interpret' the queries that are sent, VizQL, and render the dashboard when the user interacts). It's not a web-page hosting site. The Embed, lets you embed the Tableau dashboard in a webpage (but the queries are still sent back to Tableau server, as only Tableau server can read/interpret/act on VizQL...a bit like a video embed in flash). So I think the answer is no.

4. Again not sure what you mean here...if you are expecting Tableau to act as a pass-through to create data-frames (from database) to use in javascript website (say the way d3/python can create dataframes by connecting to database), then again no (I guess it could be done, almost anything is possible, but not sure why you want to)

I would definitely watch the video links I sent, as although they are mostly about the technical how-to, they introduce what Tableau server is (and what it's for)

• 3. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
              Amit Kumar

Hi Simon,

How you added slider in the work sheet, can you elaborate, So I can also do the same.

Regards,

Amit Kumar

• 4. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                Simon Runc

So I created the calculated field [index] with the formula index()...I then changed the type to 'disrete' (blue) and brought in into the first row of the view, and changed the 'compute using' to Table Down...this gave me the row numbering (btw you don't need to do this for it to work, this was just so it was clearer what was going on). I then changed the type back to 'continuous' and brought it onto the filter shelf. It is initially set (by default) to Table Across so all values are 1, so the filter option is just a slider from 1 to 1. I just OK this. I then right click on the pill (in the filter) and change compute using to 'Table Down' and it now gives me the slider from 1 to 12. I select 'All', and then click on the pill (in the filter) again and select 'Show Filter'.

This brings it out to the right of the Viz. By default it's already a slider, but you can choose the display type by clicking in the filter, and changing the type of filter display

• 5. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                  Amit Kumar

Hi Simon,

Few more doubts :

1. I added it on Worksheet, But it is not presenting in my Dashboard.

2. Suppose I added 12 Columns, Can we make any filter, where suppose I want to add or remove the fields or dimension from dashboard level.

3. In Datasource, There is 2 options --> Live and Extract, So If I select live, Please tell me how frequently it get refresh, Is it automatically refresh, If 'Yes', then can we create a toggle for the same. where we can start or stop the refresh things in our dashboard.

4. Always we have to press F5 for refresh the data.

5. If it refresh in our datasouce, automatically it will reflect in our dashboard or ?

Sorry again I come with so many doubts, But I learn so many things from you and also want to learn.

Regards,

Amit Kumar

• 6. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                    Amit Kumar

Hi Simon,

For ref. please find the attached .twbx, Slider is not working properly in dashboard.

Regards,

Amit K

• 7. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                      Simon Runc

1. You can add a filter from a sheet to a dashboard as shown in the image below

2. Not very easily (and control is limited). You seem to be trying to make Tableau some sort of data-repository, where users can custom create their own tables, this isn't really what Tableau is designed to do (it's a data visualisation tool), so not easy to do this kind of thing. One thought would be, If the dimensions (your blue pill headers) are in a hierarchy structure, you can use the expand/collapse to expand out/collapse levels? or if the different required levels are known (i.e. user either wants these 10 columns....Column 1 to Column 10, or they want Columns 1 to column 12, then you could use a sheet-swap (creating a sheet for each of the 2 required tables, and then swapping between the 2 on a user selection....btw you can create sheet-swaps on more than 2 sheets, in fact as many as you want)

3/4. If live and queries are run against the live datasource, so if a user were to click something (to trigger an action) this generates a query, and so will be using the latest data. If you just load up a table (say against a live twitter feed) it won't keep refreshing the view unless an action is taken (or you hit F5). You could program something into your site, using the API calls, to (automatically) refresh every 5 seconds (for example)....I'd post that question to the developer forum, as I'm no expert in this. To toggle between the 2...I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, but again the sheet-swap would do the trick (build one worksheet off live, one off extract and sheet-swap between the 2 on user selection)

5. Yes should do...although if you are in your dashboard (on server) you would need to hit F5. When you open a dashboard from server, Tableau caches the data (this is in simple terms there are actually 3 cache points). This is what makes Tableau so fast (considering the amount of data it is processing), and it works off this cache until an action is triggered (and the kind of action meaning it needs to go back right to the datasource) or F5 is hit. Again, with it built into a website you can use listeners/every-N-secs...etc. and the API calls to automate the triggering of the refresh.

Hope that helps. I'm unsure what you are trying to do, so have provided fairly 'generic' responses.

• 8. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                        Simon Runc

you had brought a blue pill version of the index into the filter shelf as well, and set it to 3...so it was filtering on 3, and just showing that row (which is what you'd expect to happen!). So you were filtering on 1-12 and then on 3 (like if you did this on Excel it would only return the 3). Green pills are continous, so get a slider, blue pills are discrete (even if they are numbers) so get a drop-down.

• 9. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                          Amit Kumar

Hi Simon,

I removed the Blue Pill from Filter in my worksheet, But when I go to Dashboard, Click on slider, automation in my work sheet blue pill add. and then it is not working properly.

Regards,

Amit K

• 10. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                            Simon Runc

I would remove all filters from your dashboard, and then bring in the green index. If you had brought in the blue (wrong) one before, removing it from the sheet, won't remove it from the dashboard (it won't do anything anymore, but won't just vanish). Remove it, and then (as per my image) bring it in again. If it's the blue one, remove than and bring in the other one

There's  no way of knowing which is the blue one (the one we have on the columns) and which is the green one (the one on the filter) so you'll need to bring them in and see (trial and error!)

• 11. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                              Amit Kumar

Hi Simon,

Please find the attached jpeg and let me know is it possible in Tableau.

Regards,

Amit K

• 12. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                                Simon Runc

hi Amit,

It would be pretty difficult, but (and it would depend on the interplay between all those drop-downs) you could probably just about create something like this (but would also require periodic maintenance, when new data was loaded, as you'd probably have to use parameters which don't dynamically update).

However you seem to be trying to use Tableau as some sort of reporting/data-extraction portal. Tableau is data visualization software, and it's aim is, through data visualization, to allow you to more quickly/efficiently understand your data...your image looks like a huge text table, which is hard to make sense of (glean insights from) . The idea of Tableau (and data viz in general) is to take that huge chunk of text/data and make a visualisation so it is more easily digestible (as well as revealing patterns in it).

So in short...you probably could, but why would you want to? it's not what Tableau is designed to do.

• 13. Re: Remove or Hide column and Slider in dashboard
                                  Amit Kumar

Thanks Simon Sir. Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Amit K

1 of 1 people found this helpful