5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 7:18 AM by khalid norat

Transpose Data

Morgan Strong

Hi,

I am trying to transpose my data onto a crosstab. The data is currently laid out below:

I am trying to get to a visualization that looks like.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Morgan

• 1. Re: Transpose Data
          khalid norat

Please share a sample packaged workbook and i can help you achieve this

• 2. Re: Transpose Data
            Morgan Strong

Hi Khalid,

Please find an attached workbook example.

Thanks!

Morgan

• 3. Re: Transpose Data
              khalid norat

Hi Morgan sorry for the delay on this.

I understand what you are looking for and this is definitely possible.

Unfortunately i am having difficulty mapping the data in the workbook to the row/column headings you have mentioned in your initial question above. please could you help me with mapping the fields in your workbook to the headings in the above example you provide

• 4. Re: Transpose Data
                Morgan Strong

Hi Khalid,

No worries at all. In the workbook I sent all of the dimensions are just examples of the first image I sent (Profile Type - Source, Target, TaxPayer ID - Source, etc.). This is how the data is structured on my backend (Oracle DB). I am trying to get that data to look like the second image.

My end goal is to compare the source and target columns for each attribute. What I have done thus far is create individual worksheets for each attribute. This seems to be a workaround for now, but it's pretty cumbersome, and I'm expecting data sets with ~100 attributes, so this probably isn't the best way to go for the long term.

Thanks!

Morgan

• 5. Re: Transpose Data
                  khalid norat

This is possible by using the pivot function

Unfortunately the pivot function is only available for Flat Files - Excel, CSV data sources.

If you are connecting to a database then you will have to pivot the data within the database or use a custom SQL query to transpose the data before you pull into Tableau