2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 8:51 AM by jason.harmer

DAMA Iowa - accepting 3 new board positions

jason.harmer

DAMA Iowa is now accepting nominations for 3 board positions starting this year. If being on a board has been a goal for you, I highly encourage getting involved! DAMA Iowa has done some amazing events and new talent and ideas are always welcome.

http://damaiowa.org/board-members/

• 1. Re: DAMA Iowa - accepting 3 new board positions
          Jennifer Bailey

Hi Jason:

Can you provide more insight as to what DAMA Iowa does? I am not familiar with this organization.

Thanks!

Jennifer

• 2. Re: DAMA Iowa - accepting 3 new board positions
            jason.harmer

Hi Jennifer!

Again, great to see and meet you during the meetup on Tuesday. About DAMA....so DAMA stands for Data Management Association, and DAMA Iowa is just the local chapter of DAMA International. Here is some info directly from their by-laws:

DAMA International Iowa Chapter (the “corporation”) is organized exclusively as a non-profit corporation for the purpose of promoting and advancing the concepts and practices of enterprise information resource management and data resource management, within the parameters allowed under Section 501(c)(6) of the Internal Revenue Code or corresponding section of any future federal tax code. The corporation’s primary purpose is to promote the understanding, development and practice of managing data, information and knowledge as key enterprise assets.  The corporation is dedicated to furthering the understanding of the field of data management and information resource management by providing educational opportunities and supporting an open forum addressing issues related to this field.

Chapter Bylaws | DAMA Iowa

In general, we meet almost monthly around the metro and have guest speakers or panels discussing a variety of data topics - visualization, database mgmt, governance, etc. These monthly meetings are about 3 hours in the morning (8:30-11:30). Starting this year they also try to do a larger all day event once or twice a year. In May they held their "DAMA Day" event over on Drake campus which was really great.

There is a cost associated with attending these monthly meetings. Many larger enterprises pay a corporate fee which allows ALL attendees from that company to attend each meeting free of charge. I'm not sure if there is a scale for that corp fee based on size. You can also attend each meeting as a non-member for i think $20. The large DAMA Day event there was a charge even if you were a member (I think it was $50 for non-members, 30$ for members).  I think (don't hold me to this) a first time user can go free of charge to see what DAMA Iowa is like.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more information. I've only been attending for about a year now.