3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 6:08 AM by Vincent Baumel

How to get the customer names that are newly added in year 2013 if the data contains customers from 2010  to 2014 and new customers get added every year.

Pulkit Mehrotra

Could anyone please help me out with the problem mentioned. I have to create a view of YOY growth chart for the customer newly added from 2013. Chart to be prepared for year 2013-2014.

Message was edited by: Pulkit Mehrotra

• 1. Re: How to get the customer names that are newly added in year 2013 if the data contains customers from 2010  to 2014 and new customers get added every year.
          Vincent Baumel

Great question, Pulkit!

It sounds like you're looking for a cohort analysis. This would let you see customer retention over time, and answer questions like "How many of our 2014 customers were new, and how many were returning customers from 2013?". Here's how I would approach it, using superstore data.

1. Bring Order Date out to columns, and Sales to rows

2. Change the Marks type to bar, since it will work better for this kind of analysis

3. Since we need to know when the customer FIRST ordered, we need a level of detail calculation that establishes that date for every customer. Create a calculated field (let's call it "First Order") that reads like this:

{ FIXED [Customer Name] : MIN(Order Date) }

4. Bring out this new dimension (which should already be a date type, since we calculated based on a date type) and place it on color. This will show you all of the new customers for that year in a new color! The default color scheme will show 2011 customers in blue, new 2012 customers in orange, new 2013 customers in green, and new 2014 customers in red.

5. Since it might be handy to see some detail of the breakdown, I'll create another calculated field that shows what percent of the total each section is. I'll call it "Percent of Total" and write the calculation like this:

SUM( [Number of Records] ) / TOTAL(SUM( [Number of Records] ))

6. Bring this new measure onto Label, and right click it. Format the default Numbers to percentage. Also, right click again and select Edit Table Calculation. We don't want the percentage to be calculated table wide, so let's change "Compute using:" to Cell. This shows the percentage breakdown within the specific year, which is what we want!

7. I like to see the actual number of new customers too, so I'll double click the white space at the bottom of the Marks card, and type in COUNTD( [Customer Name] ) which will remove any duplicates.

8. Create a new sheet that just has that same COUNTD( [Customer Name] ) in the marks card and set it to text.

9. Create a new sheet and bring out Customer Name to Rows.

10. Create a dashboard that brings all 3 of these together! Now whatever segment you choose will populate a list of the customers that make up that section.

I'll attach a workbook so that you can see how it all comes together. Hopefully this helps!https://public.tableau.com/static/images/Cu/CustomerRetentionbyYear/AnalysisDashboard/1.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to get the customer names that are newly added in year 2013 if the data contains customers from 2010  to 2014 and new customers get added every year.
            Vincent Baumel

Forgot to mention something - In the dashboard, select the Cohort Analysis chart and choose "Use as Filter" at the top right.

• 3. Re: How to get the customer names that are newly added in year 2013 if the data contains customers from 2010  to 2014 and new customers get added every year.
              Vincent Baumel

Pulkit, if this solved your problem could you mark it as answered please? If not, let me know what isn't working for you so we can get you on the right track.