I have a Data source for which some columns we pivot (to build a waterfall) using Tableau's data prep tool. This worked for a couple months, now all of a sudden the extract won't refresh. I hit "refresh extract" and it goes through the motions, even says for a second that it's loading rows, but then goes right back to saying it's extracting data. I've left it like that for now a maximum of 252 minutes. Too long, right? No error, or anything to give a hint of what might be the problem.
And ideas what I can do?
So I just ran again and noted what comes up in the dialog box:
- Creating extract database (lasts about 30 seconds)
- Loading data source for the first time, create an extract for a faster start-up experience (this lasts about 90 seconds) (p.s. I am refreshing an extract, it is an extract!)
- Creating extract database (lasts about 2 mins)
- Importing rows (last 0.5 seconds and I see 2 million rows imported before it goes away)
- Creating extract database (this never goes away, as i said I've left it up to 252 mins)
A few questions/suggestions:
What version of Tableau Desktop are you using?
Does this occur on all excel connections?
Does this occur with the latest version of Tableau Desktop?
If you create the connection from scratch is their any difference?