3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 8:20 AM by lindy.eberhart.0

Problem View Result Published Dashboard Live Connection to SAP BW In Tableau Server

Budi Sudarso

Dear all,

I recently have problem when published dashboard tableau that have live connection with SAP BW to tableau server. I use tableau desktop version 9.0 and for tableau server I use tableau server version 9.2.4. The problem is when I publish dashboard to tableau server, the result view keep spinning and then show session error and dashboard never show like picture below:

errorpublish.png

errorsessiontableau.png

I have try to solve it by:

1. install SAP Logon on server that installed tableau server.

2. Install SAP BW driver.

3. Copy saplogon.ini from my local to folder C:/Windows/ on server that installed tableau server.

But the problem still not solved. For connect to SAP BW from tableau server, there is no problem. I already check it by test data source that published to tableau server.

Is that bugs from tableau server version 9.2.4 ? when that is bugs, which version of tableau server that already fix that bugs?

Or there are another solution for that problem?.

For your suggest and help I say thank you.

Best regards

Budi sudarsono

• 1. Re: Problem View Result Published Dashboard Live Connection to SAP BW In Tableau Server

Hi Budi,

Try this to troubleshoot:

1. Log in to the Tableau Server machine as the RunAs account.
          2. Install Tableau Desktop on the Tableau Server machine
          3. In Tableau Desktop on the Server, open the SAP BW workbook that works in Tableau Desktop

Is the workbook able to open in Tableau Desktop on the Tableau Server machine? If this fails, what is the error?

• 2. Re: Problem View Result Published Dashboard Live Connection to SAP BW In Tableau Server
            Budi Sudarso

Hello Mr. Lindy Eberhart,

Thank you for your answer. I have follow your suggestion and I have error that tableau desktop that installed on server won't open connection to SAP BW (not responding) like image below:

errortableaudesktopdiserver88.png

additional information on tableau server version 9.3 that installed in server I use active directory as authentication and run as user active directory that have privileges as admin. Is that the problem?.

I already try in another server that installed with tableau server version 9.3 but for authentication in tableau server configuration I use local and run as Administrator and I can publish dashboard to that tableau server.

However my client want to use tableau server that use active directory as authentication rather than local, because my client also use LDAP to publish dashboard into Tableau server.

Do you have any suggestion for that?. For your answer and suggestion I say thank you.

• 3. Re: Problem View Result Published Dashboard Live Connection to SAP BW In Tableau Server

Hi Budi,

Since publishing works in one environment and not another, I suspect there is either a network or permissions issue occurring from the AD configured Tableau Server to the SAP BW machine.

• Permissions troubleshooting: Does the Server Run As Account have read permissions on the SAP BW database?
              • Network: Can the Tableau Server Windows machine connect to the SAP BW machine via ping, telnet, tracert?

If the above troubleshooting steps do not help locate the problem, I'd suggest submitting a case with our technical support team. Even if it is a network issue that error message is unhelpful, and thus worth reporting.

You can file a support case either through your Customer portal, or through the Web Form

If you do file a case, I'd suggest bundling and sending the Tableau Desktop logs from the Server machine where you reproduced the issue: Sending Tableau Desktop Log Files | Tableau Software