7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 8:59 AM by Egor Larin

Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending

Egor Larin

Hello community.

I have misunderstandings while working with Maps (shapes) and Data Blending.

I have 2 data sources:

• One with general information about User ID and Country Code. So I can create a Map with dots on it per Country. Not a problem. It contains thousand of rows (). Each row is per User ID.
      • Second with User ID and information about participation on trainings (4k rows). Data per User ID and Date of Training.

My goal is to create a Map and countd(User ID) who was on trainings per Country.

I would like to blend data on User ID field.

I know that we aren't able to use Latitude (generated) and Longitude (generated) fields from secondary data source, so my Primary data source is general info.

My map show me 57 marks. That means I have 57 Countries with recognized Lat and Long. That is fine.

So the next step is use User ID field form Secondary data source as a Filter and exclude Null values. That means the Map should show me the Countries that matched by User IDs in Secondary data source. And it shows up. But with now my number of marks crazy increased - up to thousands Marks! And the quality of Circles on the map decreased.

vs non-blending

So my questions are:

• Why does Tableau show me so many Marks? So it seems Tableau still rendering Circles per each User ID and Country. Even if I don't have User ID field on the view.
        • If I add User ID from Primary on the view (still my User ID from secondary data source at the filter shelf) number of marks decreased to 490! I understand that number - I don't have matching for 43 Users. So countd(UserID_TrainingData)=533 - 43 = 490.
        • If I add User ID from Secondary on the view (still my User ID from secondary data source at the filter shelf) number of marks increased to 8M! 0_o
      • Can Tableau still work with Geo Data on Aggregated level with Data Blending without adding the blending field on the view? Like it works for bar charts or any other type of charts.
      • Is there any workaround to avoid multiple Marks on the view? I don't want to render 98K of them every time it is loaded. I still want to see 57 or less marks. And yes I want to use Data Blending >:{ It doesn't make sense to add Country Code to Secondary Data Source.
      • If you can check that post by Joshua Milligan (btw Joshua, how did you do this?) we can see that on screenshot we have AVG of Latitude (generated) and Longitude (generated)

Any scenarios or possible solutions are welcome.

Egor

• 1. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Egor,

Is it a chance that your [User ID] from Secondary

remains somewhere on a view (in Details)?

Yours,

Yuri

PS  Joshua used hard-coded in-datasource fields named

[Latitude (generated)] & [Longitude (generated)].

They're written in normal font (not italic).

• 2. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
            Egor Larin

Hello Yurij,

Remains - ? Should I have it? You can blend without the field on the view.

There is no UserID Field from Secondary data source on my view. As I'm saying - I just drug and drop it to filter shelf - and activate the linking field in the data window.

Number of marks increased for (each UserID that I have in datasource) from 57 to thousands. Like it seems that that Long and Lat generated only can be in AVG aggregation without data blending.

So my scenario is:

• Create a Map
            • Use UserID from secondary datasource and Exclude nulls or Include non-Nulls
            • Countd(UserID) from Primary datasource - like to count only that matches

This scenario works if I put Conutry Code into the rows (without creating a map) - I won't have thousands marks as bars

Ideas?

About Joshua's solution - in my opinion it is strange to name that as well as 'generated', but anyway, good catch

• 3. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
              Yuriy Fal

Hi Egor,

Sorry for being suspicious :-)

You're right, it looks like a bug in Tableau 9.x (up to the current versions).

Placing [Latitude (generated)] on a view -- as a Dimension of course --

triggered a weird data densification. Luckily, not anymore in Tableau 10 Beta 4 :-)

Please find the attached wb (version 9.0) as a proof.

You may want to open a case in Tableau support as well.

Yours,

Yuri

PS  Pinging Jonathan Drummey

with a hope to get a comment on a subject.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
                Egor Larin

Hehe, not a problem

Not sure that your comment is clear for me:

Placing [Latitude (generated)] on a view -- as a Dimension of course --

Maybe as a Measure? 'Sheet 7 Combo Table' - here you have it in Details as a measure

And still don't get idea of that chart - it shows customers per State and Lat? What for? My goal - chart 'Blend on customer (bar)'

Also i've created 4 additional charts (tableau 9.3.3)

• Blend on customer (map) as you have Sheet7 Combo
                • Blend on state (map)
                • Blend on state (bar)

What for are the two last? The idea was to show that Tableau blends correctly with geo data ONLY if you are blending on field that you have on the view ( in that case State). So feature 'blending without the field on the view' is not working in case of geo data

You are right - works fine in Beta 4. Unbelievable!

• 5. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
                  Yuriy Fal

Hi Egor,

The Latitude(generated) and Longitude (generated)

are special Dimensions - as they are not aggregated on a view.

Place just one of them on Detail (as in my Sheet 7 Combo Table) --

and get a data densification of a kind (number of Marks change).

Only Dimensions could trigger this behaviour.

When on a map, both pills are already on Rows & Columns,

hence a densification (the number of Marks increases).

Hope this could make clear my previous comments.

Yours,

Yuri

PS  Tableau automatic Bins is another example of a special Dimension.

• 6. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
                    Egor Larin

I can't name them Dimensions Sorry.

Special Measures - yes, but not Dimensions. And wouldn't call them Dimensions.

Still you can subtract or summaries them like in spatial analysis.

Also you can see that effect when use non-aggregated measures, so I assume that the same thing is with lat (generated) and long (generated).

Bins - agree. It is buckets or containers. And IMHO it is normal Dimension not a 'special'

So are we able to say that it is 'feature' of Tableau?

I will raise a case with Support and see what they will answer.

Cheers,

Egor

• 7. Re: Disaggregated marks for Countries while Data Blending
                      Egor Larin

hey Yuri Fal!

here is the answer from Tableau Support:

the reported issue no longer occurs in Tableau Desktop 10. This is due to a design change in how the generated values for latitude and longitude are being aggregated in a data blend. As a result, it is unlikely that the new behavior will be implemented in current versions of the software. However, if there is a valid business case for having this behavior readily available in a prior version of Tableau Desktop, please go ahead and reach out to your account manager ... is in a better position to facilitate discussion about the use cases and value of having the feature available in earlier versions.

Not sure that they will implement it in <v10

And maybe it is not interesting feature...