6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 6:42 AM by Shinichiro Murakami

Assistance Displaying Data Over Time

Justin Chichester

Tableau Experts

I am struggling with what I believe to be a simple question that doesn't seem to have a ready answer available or perhaps I am looking in the wrong location. I have a dataset formatted as below, that looks at a discrete item name (effectively the DB key) with several key dates. The dates are discrete points in time the items when through a milestone. For my example below I have called the three dates "open", "closed", and "final". I am seeking leverage Tableau's ability to easily drill down into the data similar to the sample curve below. I am sure it is something simple in the software but I am stuck. Would anyone be able to assist me with this query?

Item NameDate OpenedDate ClosedDate Final
      XYW-L-135916-Feb-162-Mar-1619-Mar-16
      XYW-N-131713-Feb-1626-Feb-1613-Mar-16
      XYW-O-12355-Mar-1626-Mar-1622-Apr-16
      XYW-P-104319-Jan-168-Feb-163-Mar-16
      XYW-A-106129-Mar-168-Apr-166-May-16

160610 Sample Chart.PNG

• 1. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
          kumar.c

Hi Justin,

Could you please share the sample workbook with sample data so I can try from my end.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
            Luis Vicentini

Hi Justin. 

Try Pivoting the three date columns in the Data Source tab of your workbook, and then using the "Field Names" field on the color shelf - this should 'split' the line graph into the three types of dates as you've suggested in your image.

I'm assuming there's more data corresponding to the values for your Y axis that give a different value per item per type of date.  If you post a sample workbook we can do more.

• 3. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
              Justin Chichester

I am attaching my sample workbook. You can see I was able to display the lines in separate graphs but not on a single curve. No other data that is relevant to stacking up the data, I am simply looking to display a cumulative total over time for each milestone.

Thank you for your responses.

• 4. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
                Luis Vicentini

Hey Justin. Ok, check it out:

Count of Stacked Lines.png

These are the lines I get from re-working your file a bit.  I moved the data round until I could get the Pivot option to show up in the Data Source screen, like so:

2016-06-12 19_07_55-Tableau - SampleDataWorkbook.png

This gives you your 3 Date fields under two columns, where Pivot Field Names is the 'type' of date: closed, final, or opened, and one is the actual date, and Pivot Field Values is the actual values, in this case the dates.  This gives you 3 rows for every item name, one for each Date type.

Putting the dates in the column shelf and the Count of the dates, like you did, makes for a single line counting all the instances.  Dropping the Pivot Field Names onto the Color shelf separates the line by each value within that one, in this case again the 3 types of dates.

Will this work for your purposes? Hope it helps.

Also look up Pivoted/Unpivoted tables, or Normalized tables to get some more information on this.

Here's your workbook with the lines so you can have a look.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
                  Justin Chichester

Thank you. Looks like Tableau 8.2 doesn't allow me to pivot on the data but your pictures do accomplish what I need. Looks like I will be seeking an upgrade.

• 6. Re: Assistance Displaying Data Over Time
                    Shinichiro Murakami

One method you can try on version 8 is below.

Duplicate data source to three set.

1. Open  ==> Create new field of "Date" which equals as Open date

2. Close  ==> Create new field of "Date" which equals as Close date

3. Final  ==> Create new field of "Date" which equals as Final date

4. Date  ==> Add one more data set as Date which cover first date of Open and the last date of Final.

Make data relationships.

Primary data is 4. Date and put other 3 from respective data source.

Thanks,

Shin

8.3 attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful